1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi guys, I need some advise here about my web here.

I am currently creating a web advertising site with a little bit of content sharing section.

I have this image upload field in the posting of article, allowing user to upload their images into my server web host and thus display the image out when a user reads a article. But I am wondering if this will be against the copyright issues?

Because the users might be taking the image off anywhere and upload it to my server. Then will I as an owner of the web be sued for copyright issues?
  3. /usr/bin/drinking
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You can always have a disclaimer on the upload page stating that the uploader confirmes they are the owner of the image, or something like that. Or if they need to become a member to upload images, then make it part of the TOS that they much own the images.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So does having this policy or disclaimer thing will keep me safe from going against issues like copyrights?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Disclaimers will only help you after someone has charged you with some copyright infringement, before that happens disclaimers are only more page text.

And if someone were able to show that you had knowledge of any files with possible copyright problems and you didn't do anything about them, a disclaimer will not protect you from liability.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

oh ok.
    Thanks for the advise.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

One more question, so can we say that having the user post from another image hosting services or letting them post images by url is better then having them upload the images?

Thanks.
  13. No Profile Picture

when you get the copyright lawsuit all the claim will goes to you as provider, my suggestion is you might delete that feature, many article site have no image space to avid such unwanted sued from image owner
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No you should be OK. You have the same risk that they copy a whole article onto your site. This can happen to any website owner so donít worry.

Just put a clear disclaimer at the footer saying that posts are the responsibility of the person posting.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo