1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Thinking about starting a web dev business

Not sure if I should.

My qualifications include an BSB in Accounting, CPA, 20 years of computer experience including 10 years as Director of Technology and CIO. I know basic html, php and I'm ok with graphics.

I'm at a point where I'm ready to take the plunge and learn more about it. Just not sure what the basic things are I need to know before I can actually bid on a web design project. I have 2 sites that are active on the internet that I've done for free. One for me and another one for my brother's business. So, hoping I could get some tips on what else I need to get going.

Also, I'm nervous about jumping into this and not being able to sell my services. Wondering what I need to sell my services other than being personable? Being new to the business certainly won't do me any favors, but how about slashing my rate?

Thanks in advance!
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The biggest thing that you need to win work is the personality. Most technical people aren't salesmen and that's why a lot of places a sales team that's not as technical as the developers and designers. If you have contacts and can leverage them to get work, then you're 90% of the way there.

As far as skills go, you'd need to figure out what you can do, what you can't do, and what you think that you can learn. From my own point of view I've found that I've learnt best from projects that I initially think "nah, can't be done like that" and then have to research enough to find out how that they actually can work. This is different for every person, so it's really up to you to decide on what you think that you can take on board as far as advancing your current skills go.

I've never been a huge fan of "slashing" rates. I don't mind the idea of discounting rates a bit to get work, and because you are new to it, but there's a limit on that between when customers think that you are charging enough to know what you are doing, and when you're charging small enough for them to think that you've obviously got no idea.

Comments on this post

• E-Oreo agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Also WRT rates, having super low rates isn't going to net you the kind of customers you want. If you charge $20/hr, you're going to get a bunch of customers who are super-concerned about cost. They're going to nit pick over small amounts of money which is going to be a major hassle when your projects inevitably go over budget. Additionally, you have far less leverage (in terms of giving discounts to appease mistakes on your part).

If you charge $100/hr, you're going to get more customers who are not as concerned about cost (you'll still get some that are a hassle though). $100 only represents one hour of time to them, so they are less likely to haggle over small amounts of money. And you have a lot of leverage. If needed, you could give them a discount of $40/hour and still make money.

It's a cynical way to think, but don't trust your customers to pay. It will screw you over, I guarantee it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture

If you want to monetize your sites , you can choose one or moee ad netwoks such ad ReachJunction, adsense to start your new online business.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You gotta get ready to face harsh competition, huh. In rates and, which is more, in quality.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo