1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ECommerce / Accepting Payments

This is my first time creating an eCommerce site with a shopping cart and inventory database. I've done some research but am still unclear about exactly how I can accept payments online. I know you must have:

1.) SSL Certificate
    2.) Shopping cart and web app. designed.

now I know you can get SSL certificates from network solutions, and I can build the shopping cart, but I'm unclear about Payment gateways - merchant accounts. Can somebody please help me get this eCommerce project going by clearing up what I need to accept payments online.
    -- Success achieved from tribulation --
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well, you pretty much nailed it, to accept credit card payments directly you need a payment gateway and a merchant account.

Although you can accept credit card payments indirectly without a merchant account through a few payment gateways (PayPal).

You would get a merchant account through a normal bank. Then you could sign up for a gateway like authorize.net.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Contributing User

My 2cents to add to the info. stated by E-Oreo

I'd recommend you to use PayPal as a payment processing gateway for a simple fact that it can accept payments through multiple credit cards from various nations, plus it's more popular.

There are a various advantages of having a gateway involved when accepting payments. It'd verify information, transfers requests and authorizes credit cards in real time. For that reason you may consider Authorize.Net , CyberSource and VeriSign .
    Webhosting.uk.com :: Reseller Hosting | Cloud Server UK | Fully Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Great Opportunity :: Join our Affiliate Program for FREE & earn upto 300! per Sale:clap:
  7. Contributing User

So if I understand correctly

I could:

1. Get a Dedicated IP for hosting
    2. Purchase a SSL Certificate via a company like network solutions
    3. Subscribe for a Payment gateway like Authorize.net
    4. Develop Shopping Cart
    5. Direct credit card orders to payment gateway who will direct that to my bank merchant account

Is that everything?
    -- Success achieved from tribulation --
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yeah that's a high level overview.

All major payment processors have sandbox environments that you can register for and use to test the process.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo