Thread: CF7 with DW CS3

    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    CF7 with DW CS3


    My setup is:-

    DW CS3
    CF MX 7
    Windows 7 workstation
    Windows 2003 development server
    Local area network

    I am having a problem with DW CS3.

    A site I have used for some weeks has suddenly started misbehaving.

    When trying to access a CF 7 data source binding I get :-

    "In order to view the columns of this recordset, please associate the variable (#application.dsn#) with a data source. To do this, press the plus button and choose Data Source Name Variable."

    When I try and associate my application.dsn with a data source none are seen in the drop down.

    I compared the site to another site which is working fine and I can't see any difference in the setup.

    I have cleared the site cache and removed the data connections from within DW. (menu, Site => Advanced)

    I tried completely recreating the site copying only the cfm files into a new directory.

    I tried removing the configs from the Appdata cache/config.

    I tried reinstalling Dreamweaver.

    Any new site I create has the same problem.

    I've used this set up for years, but that doesn't mean to say I haven't missed something obvious - very rusty.

    Any ideas as to what is wrong, please?


    Thanks,

    Jenny
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    5,286
    Rep Power
    968
    Sorry, I've never used Dreamweaver so I won't be able to offer much here. I use Eclipse with the ColdFusion Builder plugin. You might try asking on the Adobe forums, but since CS3 is over six years old, I'm really not sure how many folks over there will have experience with it either.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by kiteless
    Sorry, I've never used Dreamweaver so I won't be able to offer much here. I use Eclipse with the ColdFusion Builder plugin. You might try asking on the Adobe forums, but since CS3 is over six years old, I'm really not sure how many folks over there will have experience with it either.
    Thanks for your reply. I spoke to Adobe and the process is the same for the current version of DW.

    Adobe DW support won't support CS3 or ANY connectivity issues to CF.

    Adobe CF support want $249 to even look at the problem.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    48
    Hi, Don't you think that you can live without this feature?

    I use SQL Server Management Studio for SQL Server 2008-2012. Toad for Oracle 10-11g. I know MySQL has some web based interface.
    ColdFusion Ninja 4 Hire!
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    5,286
    Rep Power
    968
    Originally Posted by JennyGW
    Thanks for your reply. I spoke to Adobe and the process is the same for the current version of DW.

    Adobe DW support won't support CS3 or ANY connectivity issues to CF.

    Adobe CF support want $249 to even look at the problem.
    If it covers any version of DW and CF, then you may indeed be able to get an answer on the Adobe CF or DW forums.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Master__Chief
    Hi, Don't you think that you can live without this feature?

    I use SQL Server Management Studio for SQL Server 2008-2012. Toad for Oracle 10-11g. I know MySQL has some web based interface.
    I don't use MYSQL.

    No I cannot live without the integration of my prime development tool and the database. Could you?

    Have you ever used DW with CF?
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    5,286
    Rep Power
    968
    I actually don't know any CF developers who use Dreamweaver. I guess they must be out there somewhere, but everyone I've ever met/talked to uses Eclipse with CFEclipse or CFBuilder.

    Perhaps some of these might Adobe articles might help: http://tinyw.in/gdCX

    Really, the problem sounds like it could be just about anything: network connectivity issues, CF RDS not enabled, security settings or firewall settings on the CF server, authentication problems, etc.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by kiteless
    I actually don't know any CF developers who use Dreamweaver. I guess they must be out there somewhere, but everyone I've ever met/talked to uses Eclipse with CFEclipse or CFBuilder.

    Perhaps some of these might Adobe articles might help

    Really, the problem sounds like it could be just about anything: network connectivity issues, CF RDS not enabled, security settings or firewall settings on the CF server, authentication problems, etc.
    Thanks for your reply.

    Try DW, you may be pleasantly surprised. I've looked at Eclipse and I hated it. CF Builder is VERY basic compared to DW.

    After tearing my hair out for two days, I eventually found the problem was a corrupted connection config file.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    5,286
    Rep Power
    968
    Originally Posted by JennyGW
    After tearing my hair out for two days, I eventually found the problem was a corrupted connection config file.
    Glad you got it working.

    Originally Posted by JennyGW
    Try DW, you may be pleasantly surprised. I've looked at Eclipse and I hated it. CF Builder is VERY basic compared to DW.
    I've tried it (I own Master Collection 6). For designing page-based HTML sites it's pretty good. For writing complex RIA front-ends (ExtJS, Flex, etc.) or building complex server-side logic (CF, Java, Grails) it is utterly destroyed by Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA. Trust me, there's a reason very few software engineers use Dreamweaver.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by kiteless
    Glad you got it working.

    I've tried it (I own Master Collection 6). For designing page-based HTML sites it's pretty good. For writing complex RIA front-ends (ExtJS, Flex, etc.) or building complex server-side logic (CF, Java, Grails) it is utterly destroyed by Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA. Trust me, there's a reason very few software engineers use Dreamweaver.
    I don't use any of that or need it. I only build CMS and eCommerce sites, and I'd pretty bored with that, lol

    More useful to me is the DW CSS/design tools.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo