1. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

ColdFusion is Java..

Hi all,

I was just looking at the new red sky MX release and the guy mensioned somthing about it using a newer Java VM version, so ColdFusion was was made using Java technologies?

Just interested,

Take care ppl,
    Mark.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Hopeless Romantic
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yeh, CFMX is a java (j2ee) application. This isn't true of any version prior to mx/6, though.
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Ah well, at least it means it can be done with something other than C/C++! Hey, why did they change it?

Ta Geek.

Mark.
  7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Here is Macromedia's whitepaper on why CFML is now J2EE-based:

PDF: http://www.macromedia.com/software/c...ybold_j2ee.pdf

Essentially, the idea is that by making the back-end J2EE, it allows a greater degree of customization for companies which want to or already have deployed java-based internet applications, and are or were going to be using JSP for their web-end.

From their standpoint, if your web designers are the ones doing the code, they're better off learning CFML rather than JSP. FWIW, I agree with them on this point - JSP would be a royal pain in the arse for the average graphics guru to get a handle on. MX provides a RAD for CFML, allowing your web designer to create a web-app which can interface w/ your desired or pre-existing Java/J2EE backend, w/o all the headaches of JSP.

Now, whether their idea works or not remains to be seen... I suppose the Macromedia site itself was designed this way...
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo