Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Are those your only two options (CF and ASP)? Is PHP not an option for you? You can create your flash interaction with PHP also and you are getting the benefit of a more powerfull langauge in PHP.

I think I would reconsider and explore either PHP or even ASP.NET for your project.
    ~ Joe Penn
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The VBScript syntax is also quite annoying because carriage returns and spacing in your code do matter . . .
    All I can say is that I agree whole heartedly. This "line sensitivity" of VBScript drives me nuts sometimes and leads to confusing code. That is, a one line IF statement does not need an END IF; however a multi line IF statement does require an END IF. It's a b(*&^ when one has multiple nested IF statements .

On multiple line statments a "line continuation" character is required at the end of each continued line. Makes editing existing code just that much harder.

My latest gripe is how the Visual Basic Editor built into MS Word (I'm developing some heavy-duty macros) wants to do all the formatting for you, and complains instantly if it thinks I'm typing something wrong.

For the life of me I do not understand why JScript - MS's version of JavaScript - is not used server-side.
  5. Hello World :)

indenting code..

Code:
    The VBScript syntax is also quite annoying because carriage returns and spacing in your code do matter . . .
    Being primarily a Python developer I "whole heartedly" have to defend indetation as a way of representing blocks in your code, if implemented correctly (as in Python) this can make code easier to read and maintain, as well as improving development time, sadly microsoft really didn't get this combination right with VB!

On the subject of editors, word really isn't the best choice for editing any kind of source code, anyone who's ever had to tidy up the mess word calls html will know what i'm talking about.

Visual studio on the other hand is surpposed to be very good - no surpising as it's the comercial standard for editing microsoft languages (also good for C/C++ and a number of plugins are available for other open source languages such as perl, Python and Java).

Take Care,
    Mark.
  7. Just another guy

I actually kind of like this. Most of your lines of code aren't going to be much wide than a screen (unless its a long db command or something), and having a return in the code equal a return in the output saves writing things like \n (C++).
    Word is terrible for writing/editing any sort of code, I agree completely with netytan.
    I use Visual Studio quite a bit, and it really is good. VB6 isn't my favorite language, but if I'm using it, Visual Studio is the best way to do it.
  9. No Profile Picture

Java

Java itself isn't leaky because it uses the garbage collector.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hereís the article I was referring to above: http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/...on-vs-java.html (which is one of many)
    oh please... what is the point of posting a link to somebodies out of date opinion? its 3 years old for crying out loud, both languages have progressed substantially since the year 2000

the web as you should know, has progressed a long way since then, just because i can still download netscape 4.X doesnt mean i would base its performance on mozilla vs. IE... silly example, but so was your link

maybe you should post a link to one of the other many?

=\
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wink To get back to the original thread-start-post :)

I don't know what your programming experiences are, and if you're supposed to use classic ASP or a DOTNET environment.
    If classic ASP I wouldn't know, since I have never put up even a small project with that.
    Assuming, because it is a schoolproject, that you might need to use ASP.NET instead of classic, I would like to point to these.

If you're a tag-orientated: CFML and interaction with FlashMX is pretty easy and straight forward.
    CFMX vs FlashMX
    On the other hand, if you're familiar with DOTNET, the same can be accomplished, in a ASP.NET environment as well.
    DOTNET vs FlashMX
    Furthermore, there is a PHP version too.
    PHP vs FlashMX

I never did actually built the recordstore, I'v just read all the codes, but it all seemed to do basicly the same, only syntaxes ofcourse were different.
    Therefore I think, it's alle based on the way you like to code, as mentioned before in this thread
    I think it actually should be possible to do a combination of these three within' one Flash-project, but as said before I haven't tried.

Good luck with the project.

Furthermore, about the Java things and more, I wouldn't know or have a clear opinion on that

**EDIT**
    By the way this is the link for the recordstore with testdrive-app for the recordstore
    Last edited by DeepDown; August 1st, 2003 at 05:27 AM.
    ** Don't expect me to code your needs, but if I am able to help, I'm willing. Shout, grab and use the hand!
    ** Man can no more own the land we walk upon, as they can lay claim on the air that we breath
    ** DeepDown I'm addicted to structures.... ohw and music
    ** Almost forgot I had an account here [*o*]
  15. Hello World :)

Originally posted by Pixel_Damage
    oh please... what is the point of posting a link to somebodies out of date opinion? its 3 years old for crying out loud, both languages have progressed substantially since the year 2000

the web as you should know, has progressed a long way since then, just because i can still download netscape 4.X doesnt mean i would base its performance on mozilla vs. IE... silly example, but so was your link

maybe you should post a link to one of the other many?

=\
    Ok as Iíve said so many times this is just an opinion, if your gonna take it so personally then don't bother to read it, everyone has there own . The fact is, Java is known to have memory leaks, if you do a search on google you will find all the articles you need on this subject (something I believe I suggested previously), here some help for you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...8&q=java+leaks

Picking on the age of a source that was referenced mainly because it was the link I had in my favorites is very silly! Yes I totally agree, both languages have been improved in this time but look around, I am sure you will be able to find data showing the same problem in latter versions of Java, or better still, try it yourself.

Do like the Netscape/Mozilla/IE analogy by the way! Very cool. Chill out ok, you'll live longer, until then..

Have fun,
    Mark.
  17. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Re: Java

Originally posted by netytan
    Ok, a good point about the speed, but what people fail to realise about Java is it leaks, and i dont mean a few drips hear and there, it leaks like a tap. The Java VM also takes nearly 3 times as long to start up as perl or Pythons interpriters but i dont know if this is effects Cold Fusion or not but i'm pretty sure it must do. It's a good point that you dont have to know Java to use it's power but then im my mind Java is no more powerful than some other languages. Sorry im just not a lover of Java..

Take care,
    Mark.
    I'm sorry, but what documentation do you have to defend this Java FUD?

Frankly, you're dead wrong... lover of Java or not, get your facts straight before posting this sort of garbage.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  19. Moderator Emeritus

Re: Re: Java

Originally posted by kiteless
    um....Amazon.com runs on Java. Yahoo runs on Java. Trust me, in the right hands Java can do just about anything. This issue about leaks might have been true in the early days of Java and the JVM, but the new versions are very tight, efficient, and fast.

Regards,

Brian
    Actually, Amazon runs on Perl, and Yahoo! runs on PHP.

DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  21. No Profile Picture

Re: Re: Re: Java

Originally posted by drgroove
    Actually, Amazon runs on Perl
    Actually, sorry to tell you this but you are wrong. Amazon.com runs on WebLogic, a J2EE app server. http://www.bea.com/framework.jsp?CNT...omers/profiles

And actually, some parts of Yahoo use PHP but the vast majority was written in a custom scripting language that is still used and maintained, while other parts are based on Java.

Just trying to keep the facts straight.

Regards,

Brian
    Last edited by kiteless; August 5th, 2003 at 09:27 PM.
  23. Hello World :)

Feud? When did this turn into a feud, i'm a lil fed up that people seem to be taking this the wrong way but i wouldn't call it a feud.. I have nothing againt Java, I've used it several times in the past for a few small things and i'm just not a fan of the lang. All i did was respond to a post referncing Java's speed with a comment about Memory leaks, I'm not saying Java is the only language that leaks, though it leaks more than others. Thats all i have to say.

Yahoo was originally Python Powered then they shifted over to C, I'm not sure why there using PHP now unless they had redeign the system in a hurry. Don't know anything about amazon.com

Take care guys,
    Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; August 6th, 2003 at 06:52 AM.
  25. Moderator Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Java

Originally posted by kiteless
    Actually, sorry to tell you this but you are wrong. Amazon.com runs on WebLogic, a J2EE app server. http://www.bea.com/framework.jsp?CNT...omers/profiles

And actually, some parts of Yahoo use PHP but the vast majority was written in a custom scripting language that is still used and maintained, while other parts are based on Java.

Just trying to keep the facts straight.

Regards,

Brian
    My bad.
  27. Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by netytan
    Feud? When did this turn into a feud, i'm a lil fed up that people seem to be taking this the wrong way but i wouldn't call it a feud.. I have nothing againt Java, I've used it several times in the past for a few small things and i'm just not a fan of the lang. All i did was respond to a post referncing Java's speed with a comment about Memory leaks, I'm not saying Java is the only language that leaks, though it leaks more than others. Thats all i have to say.

Yahoo was originally Python Powered then they shifted over to C, I'm not sure why there using PHP now unless they had redeign the system in a hurry. Don't know anything about amazon.com

Take care guys,
    Mark.
    Yahoo originally ran on a custom-built language, not sure what it was based it. I don't think it was based in Python, however.

Rasmus Lerdorf, inventor of PHP, now works at Yahoo. My understanding is they are slowly porting the entire site over to PHP. Right now, their finances section runs on PHP/MySQL...

Earlier versions of Java might have had memory leaks on certain operating systems. Its just not the case now. If a developer creates a poorly designed app, it may have memory issues, but the JVM itself is solid.
  29. Hello World :)

Well i can't prove of disprove that fact so I'm not gonna argue, I do know that Python was used by Yahoo at some point, where there custom language fits in i don't know (since i've never heard anything about that).. Yahoo is still using Python in parts of it's site..

http://www.python-in-business.org/success/

mentions it's use in there group's system although I am fairly sure it's used else where too. Google also uses Python extensivly although i'm not sure if that includes there groups or not.

Mark.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo