1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question PhoneGap and ColdFusion

Hi Gurus,

This is more so a question along the lines with architecture and best coding principals. I am working on a mobile application with file upload abilities. This is my first project in this area so there will be some learning.

I haven't seen many ColdFusion and PhoneGap tutorials on the interwebz. One simple expense tracker and couple posts by Ray.

I was thinking about using HTML5, jQuery mobile and bootstrap for the PhoneGap version of things then use ColdFusion REST APIs to handle functions like login, saving the file on the server and so forth.

I honestly did not like wrapping CFCs in <cfclient> as they did on the simple expense tracker.

Any thoughts, pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.
    ColdFusion Ninja 4 Hire!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm using Foundation 5 and my CF abilities and knowledge are nothing compared to some of the ppl on here. In other words take what i'm about to say with a grain of salt....

My last 2 applications have been made with mobile in mind. I'm still wrapping my head around CF's REST so i opted to use CFC's. I'm on CF 9.0.1 and have run into no issues with CF on mobile devices. I didn't think there would be much issue since it's all server side anyways.

Edit: after reading through the docs for cfclient i'm a little miffed why they would even bother with this. Jquery in situations like this is in my opinion far superior and more flexible.
    Last edited by dsfx; January 20th, 2015 at 03:35 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dsfx
    I'm using Foundation 5 and my CF abilities and knowledge are nothing compared to some of the ppl on here. In other words take what i'm about to say with a grain of salt....

My last 2 applications have been made with mobile in mind. I'm still wrapping my head around CF's REST so i opted to use CFC's. I'm on CF 9.0.1 and have run into no issues with CF on mobile devices. I didn't think there would be much issue since it's all server side anyways.

Edit: after reading through the docs for cfclient i'm a little miffed why they would even bother with this. Jquery in situations like this is in my opinion far superior and more flexible.
    I have to agree your comment about cfclient. I will go with similar route : jquery mobile and html5 making ajax requests to CFCs.

Thanks
    ColdFusion Ninja 4 Hire!
  7. No Profile Picture

In the past, I've also used Sencha Touch. It's not free, but it does have a very large feature set. Naturally, Touch apps can also be built via PhoneGap.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo