1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

File upload strange happenings

This probably is NOT related to CF, but we are using CF so I'm asking here to see if anyone else has ANY idea...

We set up a basic form to allow user to upload files (internal system). The form does nothing more than just pick a file and hit upload. Two users are having a problem with it to which I have never seen before.

One is hitting the "Browse" button, picking a file and hitting "Open" and the file field is NOT being populated, so there is nothing to upload.

The other user hits the "Browse" button, gets to the desired directory, single clicks a file, and the whole file selection dialog box just disappears and the file field is also not populated.

Both are on Windows 7 with IE 8.0 (it's a horrible company standard I know, but we have no control or say on that lol)

I am clueless and not quite sure what to do or what to tell them. Naturally it works just fine for us (the developers)!

One final note, the desired directory is a network share drive and not their local file system. I'm not sure if this is the problem or not but I wanted to treat this as if that didn't matter so we don't have to dig into network security issues, since we have no control on that either....ugh

Thanks in advance in case anyone has a clue!
  3. No Profile Picture

Yeah I'm not sure, if this is a standard HTML form, CF has nothing to do with what the browser is doing when it selects a file on the user's local system. For a sanity check, I would try to have them test it with Firefox or Chrome just to try and see if it is an IE 8 issue.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yea I know it has nothing to do with CF - I just figured I'd press my luck in here and see if anyone heard of this.

Also, this company is.....what's the word.....dumb? They sent out a mass email scowling at people for using anything OTHER than IE because they don't understand how to set up the network security for other browsers and someone using Firefox downloaded a corrupt file. It's a mess, therefore they can't check with anything other than IE. I frown daily on this...

Us as the developers have tested on IE, Firefox, and Chrome (we are exempt from the above rule) and it has worked fine on everything for us. It's these 2 users in particular that I'm not sure WHAT is going on. I'm tempted to give the general IT answer of a simple reboot and hope it helps lol!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

One final note, the desired directory is a network share drive and not their local file system.
    Did you have them try using a file from their local instead? If it worked that would lean towards the network share being the issue.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo