1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with mysterious "?" showing up in MX7

After moving a file from CF5 to MX7, all of a sudden these mysterious question marks appear at the bottom of the page. Here's a screenshot:

Of course, these aren't in the code, and they're just sitting there when you view source. The weird thing is if I move code around, or change one thing here or one thing there, the question marks change number! The best I've done was got it down to one question mark, but of course I don't know what's causing it in the first place, because there's nothing different about this page than any other pages where they don't show up.

Anyone know what's causing these to show up and/or what to do to get rid of them? I couldn't find anything through Google.
  3. No Profile Picture

Odd. I've never seen this before. I seems like this would be caused if your template has some strange hidden or extended characters in it. Similar to what happens if you paste text from MS Word into a web form and submit it. MS "curley quotes" will become odd boxes or question marks because they are extended characters. This sounds like the same sort of thing.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, I've seen that before, but these are just out in the open in the middle of nowhere instead of being an apostrophe in a word or quote marks. And the include where this might be happening is used on every other page, and it's not happening anywhere else.

I thought it was maybe something in the ELSE section on the page...

CFIF X

(show the page)

ELSE

(show a message)

/CFIF

That maybe it was something in that (show a message), but removing the cfif statement altogether didn't get rid of them. It's truly baffling, they're just showing up in the empty space after a </FORM> and before a <BR>.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think I "fixed" it...my only theory is there were some tabbed spaces or something in the empty areas between the code, who knows. I went line-by-line, highlighted all the empty space, and either hit delete or return, and that seems to have done the trick(?).
  9. No Profile Picture

Yes that's exactly what I mean, hidden characters that are outside of the normal encoding set.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo