1. No Profile Picture
    *foo = *bar;
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is purchasing ColdFusion necessary

A new customer has asked me to edit/add a couple of things on his ColdFusion-driven site. Normally I do all development in Perl and MySQL, but the host only supports CF and a MS SQL db. I know little about CF.

Question is, can I just hard code CF pages in my editor (BBEdit) and upload them? What does one get when they actually purchase CF?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

The software is actually for the server-side. You don't need any special software to program in Cold Fusion. Dreamweaver is what most developers use however
  5. No Profile Picture
    *foo = *bar;

Wink

Thanks JodoHost. Figured as much. Now, all I have to do is learn another "language"
  7. No Profile Picture

Re: Is purchasing ColdFusion necessary

Originally posted by breadwild
    A new customer has asked me to edit/add a couple of things on his ColdFusion-driven site. Normally I do all development in Perl and MySQL, but the host only supports CF and a MS SQL db. I know little about CF.

Question is, can I just hard code CF pages in my editor (BBEdit) and upload them? What does one get when they actually purchase CF?

Thanks.
    CF is a server-side engine based on Java, kind of like PHP except it is a tag-based language instead of script-based. You need to buy CF Server if you are running a server, but for development you can code in any text editor. You can also download and use the free single-user server version for development. It only lets one IP address connect to the server, so you can't run a real site on it, but it works fine for local development.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo