1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about Coldfusion tags for several steps of processing

I'm am generally a beginner in ColdFusion programming and I have an application I'm working on that requires several steps of data processing. In one CFM page it is too long and times out, so I separated it into several pages that run one after another using re-direct codes to load next and that has problems.

Which CF tags do I need to use to have this in one CFM page, and have one process run, then next process, then next process. I don't need to have it made decisions such as <CFIF> tag but just a tag that has it run first process alone, so it doesn't run them all and time out, then when finished, run the second, and I think there are about 35 processes I'll run but simply run them in order, 1,2,3 etc. until all are done.

Can anyone make sense of what I'm talking about and give me some suggestions on which tags I can use to do this?

Thanks,

Dean
  3. No Profile Picture

Well you can do it by having them move through separate pages, since each request has a separate timeout. You could look into using AJAX if you need to keep them on the same page while all of the separate requests run (check out jQuery). Or you may be able to use CFTHREAD to split the processes into separate threads and run them simultaneously, but if you're a beginner that's probably going to be somewhat complex for you.
  5. No Profile Picture

Another question

Thanks for the response. If I keep them on separate pages, whc is best way to have each page automatically load the next after it completes? Right now I"m using:

<body onLoad="parent.location='URL HERE';" >

on each page and sometimes that just decides it doesn't want to work or at least it seems to do that.

Thanks,

Dean

Originally Posted by kiteless
    Well you can do it by having them move through separate pages, since each request has a separate timeout. You could look into using AJAX if you need to keep them on the same page while all of the separate requests run (check out jQuery). Or you may be able to use CFTHREAD to split the processes into separate threads and run them simultaneously, but if you're a beginner that's probably going to be somewhat complex for you.
  7. No Profile Picture

Actually, can you just increase the timeout for this one page and do it all on one page? <cfsetting requestTimeOut = "value in seconds" />
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks I'll try that and report back on how it works.

Dean
  11. No Profile Picture

That worked

it worked, thanks.

Dean

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo