1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Solr search question

so Iíve created a Solr collection to recursively search the root directory of a website i'm working on. Every .cfm file on this site has a set of variables on it for the user interface mostly. These variables do give the site a rough idea of where the .cfm file is.

I was wondering if there is any way to pick out these variables from the solr search results or when i index the collection for easy reference later?

There seems to be a steel learning curve with solr so Iím having trouble figuring this out.

Thanks,
    DSFX
  3. No Profile Picture

There isn't. Solr indexes the generated HTML that the CF templates create. OR, it indexes the underlying database tables. It doesn't index the actual CFML files (since that would be useless).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by kiteless
    There isn't. Solr indexes the generated HTML that the CF templates create. OR, it indexes the underlying database tables. It doesn't index the actual CFML files (since that would be useless).
    I was unaware that it processed the file before it indexed it. I thought there might be some neat tricks you could use to get some flashier output but i guess not.

Thanks,
    DSFX
  7. No Profile Picture

To be clear, it doesn't process the page as part of the indexing itself. What I mean is people often use companion tools (like Nutch or other spidering options) to actually crawl the site, just like the search engines do. Or they generate html files and have the search index those. By far the most typical use is to index database tables.

You might want to look into categories, which offers some ability to add metadata to indexed data: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Developing/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbec0ef2f-7ff6.html
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by kiteless
    To be clear, it doesn't process the page as part of the indexing itself. What I mean is people often use companion tools (like Nutch or other spidering options) to actually crawl the site, just like the search engines do. Or they generate html files and have the search index those. By far the most typical use is to index database tables.

You might want to look into categories, which offers some ability to add metadata to indexed data: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Developing/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbec0ef2f-7ff6.html
    Thanks for the advice i'm going to check out nutch as well.

DSFX

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo