1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Forms and mailing

Does anyone know how to create a check box that defines whether or not a mail message gets sent. i cant seem to get the cfif statements to work.

heres what i have so far:

<cfoutput>
    <cfif contactdirector equal "on">got here
    <cfelseif contactdirector is "off">got here2
    </cfif>
    </cfoutput>

Whenever the checkbox on the form is not checked, the parameter doesnt seem to be sent at all. when it is checked it works.

thanks
    greg
  3. No Profile Picture

That's because when a form checkbox is not checked, there IS NO VARIABLE AT ALL for that field. So what you want it:

<cfif isDefined( 'form.contactDirector' )>
    -- code that fires when the box is checked
    <cfelse>
    -- code that fires when the box is not checked
    </cfif>
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Darn checkbox gets ya all the time... I spent a week tracking this one down in another app ... I knew the issue, just forgot cuz it's intuitive to expect it to be there. You're not alone, infinity...
  7. No Profile Picture

Unhappy more problems with forms and checkboxes

I am having the same type of problem as infinity2003.

Here is the relevant code that I have in the HTML file:

Code:
    <form name="jobForm" action="cfmail.cfm" method="post">
        <input type="checkbox" name="postJob" id="postJob" value="on" />
            <label for="postJob">Post job on our website.</label><br />
        <input type="checkbox" name="sendResumes" id="sendResumes" value="on" />
            <label for="sendResumes">E-mail resumes from our existing database with memo.</label><br />
        <input type="checkbox" name="addToMailingList" id="addToMailingList" value="on" />
            <label for="addToMailingList">Add me to the career fair mailing list.</label><br />
        <input type="checkbox" name="isInquiry" id="isInquiry" value="on" />
            <label for="isInquiry">Do not advertise job (inquiry only).</label><br />
    </form>
    And here is what I have in the cfmail.cfm file:

Code:
    <cfmail to = "#form.mailTo#" from = "noReply@domain.com" subject = "Automated Job Submission">
    OPTIONS:
    <cfif IsDefined("form.postJob")>Post job on our website.</cfif>
    <cfif IsDefined("form.sendResumes")>E-mail resumes from our existing database with memo.</cfif>
    <cfif IsDefined("form.addToMailingList")>Add me to the career fair mailing list.</cfif>
    <cfif IsDefined("form.isInquiry")>Do not advertise job (inquiry only).</cfif>
    </cfmail>
    There are other items that are on the form (textboxes, select boxes, etc.) that I am able to post from the html file and mail from the cfmail.cfm. The only time that the script executes without an error is if I check all of the checkboxes and then submit the form. If at least one is unchecked, then the ColdFusion error comes up saying that form.[oneofthecheckboxes] cannot be found. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thank you in advance, sorry if some of this does not make sense, it is late and I am quite tired..
  9. No Profile Picture

Seems like there must be some other code, because I don't see anything in the code you posted that would throw an error, even if you did not check a form box. Can you post the actual error text and/or post any extra code in the cfmail.cfm page that you did not already post?
  11. No Profile Picture

You are absolutely correct. I was getting an error when I was using #form.checkboxname#. Everything started to work after I replaced these with "form.checkboxname". Thanks for the reply.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo