1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Legal issue - anyone know?

Can anyone please tell me if there are any legal implications here...

My company used ColdFusion to develop a web site. We are in the process of selling the site.

Do we have to remove the cf pieces, have the buyer purchase cf, and have them re-insert the removed pieces?

Crazy, huh? That's what our legal department wants us to do.

I'm thinking that when we bought the license, we bought the right to sell the site with the pieces intact, but I'm no lawyer.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The first thing to do is READ THE LICENSE. The license contains the information that you want. What you bought is the right to use the software, not sell it.

If you don't want to keep the ColdFusion server software, you can probably transfer the license to the web site buyer. Most software licenses can be transferred. You will need to contact the Macromedia to do so. Sometimes there is a fee involved, sometimes not. You will be required to uninstall the software from your computer when you transfer the license (unless you are selling the computer too), which means you cannot run any ColdFusion applications. Bottom line, if you transfer the license, you do not have a license to run ColdFusion yourself, even if you kept a copy of the CD. However, you do not have to delete or remove the ColdFusion code (templates) from your web server, but they won't be of much use without the server. If you are selling the computer with the web site, you won't have to uninstall ColdFusion -- just transfer the license.

If you want to keep ColdFusion, the web site buyer will have to purchase his own license. If you are selling the web site in an installed and configured package, including the hardware, then you will probably be required to uninstall ColdFusion and the buyer will have to install his own copy of ColdFusion with his own product key. That means he will have to configure ColdFusion and the web site. That should not be a problem, as you already have all the documentation to do that, right? If you are selling only the ColdFusion application and data, then the buyer will have to purchase his own computer and his own license for ColdFusion.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo