1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CF Book Suggestions

Hello all,

I am a CF beginner - I'm just get getting started with ColdFusion. I was really excited to find this forum and the lively, positive discussion going on here

Thanks to cfgeek for that amazing list of CF Resources. You did a fantastic job which is greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if people could share their thoughts on some of the books out there, that you'd suggest for a beginner. I have some coding under my belt, very comfortable with HTML and I spend most of my time on Lin/Unix as a sysadmin. I haven't done anything with web-scripting and I'm also just beginning to learn SQL.

There are two that I'm currently considering:

Coldfusion MX with Dreamweaver MX
    Programming ColdFusion

These seem to have some great reviews online. Does anyone have experience with them? Any other books that you'd recommend.

We're also running CF5; I'm wondering if books about CFMX will be applicable or if there is too much that is different.

Thanks for any and all suggestions...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Hopeless Romantic

I haven't read the O'Reilly one (in fact I've managed to put off buying any CFMX book so far - thank god for the internet), but coming from them I think it's a safe bet. On the other hand, if you're looking for a "getting started with CF"-type book, this might not be it. If that's the case, take a look at Ben Forta's ColdFusion MX Web Application Construction Kit. The trouble with that kind of book is that you might outgrow it quickly, though.
    ...better lives have been lived in the margins, locked in the prisons and lost on the gallows than have ever been enshrined in palaces.
  5. No Profile Picture

CF5 vs. MX

Can you point me in the right direction for a description of the differences between CF 5 and MX? I'm having trouble finding something like at the Macromedia site - perhaps I'm just missing it...

Thanks for the suggesting Forta's Book!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Hopeless Romantic

Re: CF5 vs. MX

Originally posted by syoebius
    Can you point me in the right direction for a description of the differences between CF 5 and MX?
    Try this webmonkey article.
    ...better lives have been lived in the margins, locked in the prisons and lost on the gallows than have ever been enshrined in palaces.
  9. No Profile Picture

CF MX for Dummies

I know you didn't ask about it, but I'd like to warn people about
    the CF MX for Dummies book.

It is full of typos and has a major error related to the name of the
    sample datasource they use in the examples.

I spent 3 full days on this learning very little.....

I then got the Sams Coldfusion MX book and learned more in a
    few hours than I did from the dummies book.

I usually like the Dummies books, I have one on Perl and one on
    PHP & SQL which are both great....

But CF MX for Dummies is terrible.... AVOID
  11. No Profile Picture
    jerk

Try Ben Forta's ColdFusion MX Web Application Construction Kit. I has a lot of useful information along with a trail of CF MX, Flash MX, and Dreamweaver MX. The tutorials are also very good.http://www.forta.com/books/0321125169/
  13. No Profile Picture

Ben Forta's books are great for relatively basic and intermediate CFMX info. For more high-end info look at the CFMX Bible.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo