1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Coldfusion server error - Corrupt form data: premature ending

I've got a problem with our live server. Occasionally a page will not load, and the following error is displayed in plain black text on a white background:

Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request
    Application server is busy. Either there are too many concurrent requests
    If I look in the error log for the website, at the time of the error using the following command:

Code:
    grep "12:17:33" error_log
    lines such as this are returned:

[Tue May 03 12:17:33 2011] [notice] jrApache[14352: 21512] returning error page for JRun too busy or out of memory
    Then if I search in the Coldfusion cfserver.log I find these errors, a few seconds before hand:

05/03 12:17:29 error Corrupt form data: premature ending
    java.io.IOException: Corrupt form data: premature ending
    at com.oreilly.servlet.multipart.MultipartParser.<init>(MultipartParser.java:177)
    at com.oreilly.servlet.multipart.MultipartParser.<init>(MultipartParser.java:99)
    at coldfusion.filter.FormScope.fillMultipart(FormScope.java:190)
    at coldfusion.filter.FusionContext.SymTab_initForRequest(FusionContext.java:369)
    at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:33)
    at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
    at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:53)
    at coldfusion.filter.RequestThrottleFilter.invoke(RequestThrottleFilter.java:126)
    at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:200)
    at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
    at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86)
    at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
    at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
    at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94)
    at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101)
    at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
    at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
    at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286)
    at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
    at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
    at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
    at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
    at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
    at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)

05/03 12:17:29 error (JRun Service: ProxyService [jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService@500b675]) JRunPRoxyServer.invokeRunnable:
    java.lang.IllegalStateException
    at jrun.servlet.JRunResponse.getWriter(JRunResponse.java:205)
    at jrun.servlet.JRunResponse.sendError(JRunResponse.java:597)
    at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:328)
    at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
    at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
    at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)

java.lang.IllegalStateException
    at jrun.servlet.JRunResponse.getWriter(JRunResponse.java:205)
    at jrun.servlet.JRunResponse.sendError(JRunResponse.java:597)
    at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:328)
    I don't really know what to do from here.

If the page is refreshed then it loads without error. I don't know how to replicate the error, it doesn't seem to happen on any particular page or at any articular time.

I've tried setting:

Code:
    Maximum number of simultaneous Template requests: 100
    in the Coldfusion administrator, I've done that based on Steven Erat's post: http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm/2005/3/11/ContextSwitchingBad

But I'm still getting errors. Would increasing this to a higher value help?

And then there's the "premature form ending" part of the longer Java error, I'm not sure if that's related and don't understand what it means anyway.

I've also looked through my access logs, and ruling out any images or js files that get called at the time of any errors, I've got a variety of CFM pages that return a 503 http status, and some of them are CFM pages that get returned with a content type of Javascript, and are never requested after a form post.

So in summary, I'm getting some pretty blunt error messages, and I can reproduce them at present, and the page loads fine if I just hit F5, and I'd like to know if anyone can help me to understand the source of the problem.

Oh and one last thing, we're running a RHEL 5 server with CF9, and we've upgraded recently from CF7. Before the upgrade this error was not happening.
  3. No Profile Picture

hmm I don't really have much to say. I've never seen anything like this I'm afraid. :-/

Might be worth trying to reinstall?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kiteless
    hmm I don't really have much to say. I've never seen anything like this I'm afraid. :-/

Might be worth trying to reinstall?
    Ooh that'd have to be my last resort, although, I suppose I don't have anything else to try right now.

I'll see if I can find anything out after installing Fusion Reactor but you might have a point
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"Corrupt form data: premature ending"

just as a shot in the dark, this makes me think that the browser is sending more or less than what the server is expecting (or the socket is closing before transmission has completed).

I would try reproducing the error with different browsers to see if it's a corrupted browser issue or even some browser/tcp hijacking.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rawk
    "Corrupt form data: premature ending"

just as a shot in the dark, this makes me think that the browser is sending more or less than what the server is expecting (or the socket is closing before transmission has completed).

I would try reproducing the error with different browsers to see if it's a corrupted browser issue or even some browser/tcp hijacking.
    We're getting the error at least in Chrome and Firefox.

Anyhow, yesterday I installed FusionReactor to try and monitor the server and see what was going on.

During the installation I installed a new JRE, and also rebooted coldfusion. And since then, the error hasn't occupied again.

Unfortuantely I don't know which of those 3 things seems to have fixed it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo