1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Site-Wide Error Page

Hello ...
    I set up a site wide error page and stored it in the web root.
    I configured the CF admin and put my page (/error_page.cfm)in the "Site-wide Error Handler" field ... but even after a restart of the CF-Service , the page is not displayed when an error occurs ... (ie a not existing page is called).

What else can I do to get the error page used as default error message ?

BR
    Dieter

PS I'm using a CFMX7 with an IIS
  3. No Profile Picture

Is the not existing page a CFML page, or an HTML page?

If it is CFML, you need to use the missing template handler, but I can't recall if that option is available in CFMX 7 as that version is over six years old.

If 7 doesn't have that option, or if the page is not a CFM/CFC template, you have to configure the 404 handler at the web server level, since CF will have no knowledge of requests for files that don't exist.
  5. No Profile Picture

I tested both cases ... means once the html and once cfm.

In case of missing html ... the browser gives back the normal 'The page cannot be found' - page. Which would still be ok ... (but would be better to have the 'programmed' one)

In case of cfm ... the browser comes back with a page starting with "The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error...." followed by too much information for the web-user ... means links to knowledgebase, coldfusion documentation, remote address, etc ... this I would like to replace by a more standard page I prepared. (my error_page.cfm)

In the Admin I inserted ... at the Missing Template Handler field my template ... and got no error back (Server has been updated successfully) ... but the server still does not take my template when I call for a non existing template in the url.

What could I do next ?

Thanks for your help !
  7. No Profile Picture

Try using a full system path to the template ("c:\my\folder\location\error_page.cfm").
  9. No Profile Picture

I tried ...

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ecopelandnew\error_page.cfm (that's where the file is physicaly stored)

but as clicking on "Submit changes" ... the following message appears (at the top) ...
    ... The file specified as the site wide missing template handler does not exist. The default missing template handler will be used until a replacement is created.
  11. No Profile Picture

hmm, the only things I can think of then is that either there is an error the actual error handler template, or the path is still not correct.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo