1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apache + Coldfusion 9 Developer = Need License?

I'm having a ridiculous time understanding how Coldfusion 9 licensing works. For the most part, I just really want to know if running Apache2.2 with Coldfusion 9 Developer is enough to host a "commercial" server without a license.

I've noticed solutions such as BlueDragon and Railo, and I believe that those solutions can be hosted commercially without any licensing fees, but seeing as Apache requires the use of Adobe's "limited" developer edition of Coldfusion 9, I can't find a reason to be certain that it can be used commercially with Apache.

I wish I can phrase the scenario more clearly.
    Thanks in advance!
    Brandon.
  3. No Profile Picture

Well, I'm not sure what you mean about Apache "requiring" anything, because CF has nothing to do with the web server other than handling requests that the web server hands off to it. It works the same way with IIS. So in that regard, no, you don't need a license to use CF with Apache.

What you DO need a CF license for is doing anything with it other than development. The Developer version of CF is set up to only allow two IP addresses to connect to it before restart. Which obviously is fine when you're just hitting localhost all the time. But which won't work at all for a live web site.

So, to host a live site with CF, you'd need to buy a license for CF Standard Edition (since I assume you don't need the Enterprise edition features).

Hope that helps.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kiteless

What you DO need a CF license for is doing anything with it other than development. The Developer version of CF is set up to only allow two IP addresses to connect to it before restart. Which obviously is fine when you're just hitting localhost all the time. But which won't work at all for a live web site.

Hope that helps.
    That's exactly where I get confused. I have Apache2.2 running with a CFML backend from tools included with Coldfusion 9 Developer. So from my outlook, I feel I'm not only using Coldfusion 9 Developer for development, as I am also running a commercial web server with tools included with Coldfusion 9 Developer. Under these circumstances, am I safe from any license fees?
  7. No Profile Picture

No. Again, the developer version is limited to allow only two IP addresses to connect, so it won't work for a public web site anyway.

But that's beside the point. The issue is not whether you've got CF running with Apache (or IIS for that matter). My local system uses Apache and I do all development work on it because it is easier to set up virtual hosts this way.

But what web server you're using has nothing to do with whether you need a license. The bottom line is that if the server is running a live site meant for other people to use, you need a license.

One caveat: you can actually get a free license under certain circumstances, such as running a site as part of a university system meant for education, for example. Possibly for work associated with a registered non-profit organization as well (I'd have to check). But it doesn't sound like either of these apply in your situation.
    Last edited by kiteless; September 15th, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kiteless
    No. Again, the developer version is limited to allow only two IP addresses to connect, so it won't work for a public web site anyway.

But that's beside the point. The issue is not whether you've got CF running with Apache (or IIS for that matter). My local system uses Apache and I do all development work on it because it is easier to set up virtual hosts this way.

But what web server you're using has nothing to do with whether you need a license. The bottom line is that if the server is running a live site meant for other people to use, you need a license.

One caveat: you can actually get a free license under certain circumstances, such as running a site as part of a university system meant for education, for example. Possibly for work associated with a registered non-profit organization as well (I'd have to check). But it doesn't sound like either of these apply in your situation.
    Ok, I understand now. Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo