1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help! Issue with ColdFusion parts lookup

At my company we have an online live-inventory parts look up system where our customers can log-in and place orders. This online ordering was created using Cold Fusion using a person whom we no longer have contact with. I am the graphic designer (not a programmer as I have told my boss), but I'm being asked to check out a problem....so here I am.

The problem is this;

If a customer wants to look up a part, PN00001fts for example, and they enter in the full part number, the system looks it up just fine and displays the part number, inventory, and price. If the customer only enters in part of the number, PN00001, the system automatically corrects the part number and adds the "fts" on the end. However, it comes up as zero inventory....saying that we do not stock it.

Im wondering if this is a Cold Fusion error, or if its a SQL error in our database. Right now Im just looking for some direction as to where to start looking.

I know its vague and a shot in the dark....
  3. No Profile Picture

I'm afraid it could be either, but it sounds like an issue with the SQL query. If you can run the app locally or you have a test server, you can turn on debugging output in the CF Administrator and see the actual SQL being executed. However, I would NOT turn on debug output on a production server.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. Ill have to check if we can run a debug on a test server.

I did notice something else odd about it....

We have two fields to select; Vendor code from a drop down menu, and then a text field where the user enters the part number. They can select the vendor code, or leave it as "not sure", and the search will bring up all related items.

If the user selects "not sure" in the vendor code box, and enters in a partial part number....the correct number comes up and shows in stock.

If the user selects the correct vendor code and enters in a partial number...the correct number comes up and shows as a non-stocking part.

The problem only comes up when a partial part number is entered with the correct corresponding vendor code from the drop down menu.
  7. No Profile Picture

Well the main thing you'll have to get across to your superiors is that you need to either be able to run the application locally to debug it, or have access to a server where you can debug the application. Without one of those options, it will be extremely difficult for you (or anyone else) to figure out what's wrong.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kiteless
    Well the main thing you'll have to get across to your superiors is that you need to either be able to run the application locally to debug it, or have access to a server where you can debug the application. Without one of those options, it will be extremely difficult for you (or anyone else) to figure out what's wrong.
    Thanks for your help...Ill relay the info.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo