1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mystery Overwrite

This is a shot in the dark.

I'm an intermediate CF coder hired to fix a few not too serious problems on an advacned CF site.

There's one file - pageheader.cfm - I download, modify, and upload to the server. The properties (using WS-FTP) shows the date I modify the file, as it should. Within a few minutes, that file reverts to an older 2012 file, and all the changes I made to the file are gone. Somehow, the file I upload is being over-written by the older version of the same filename.

No one else is working on this site.

My guess is that somewhere there is code that is written for the purpose of re-creating the pageheader.cfm file. So my questions is this: How can I find the file or code that is doing this?

Or am I off base? Is there any other explanation for this?

Thanks much!
  3. No Profile Picture

If the CF code in the app itself is overwriting the file, you could do a full text search through the codebase, looking for the name of the file. The idea would be to locate the code that is actually writing a file with that name.

However, it could be something outside of the CF code, and that really could be just about anything. Some file monitoring system could be noticing the change and running another build, or copying a backup version back onto the server. Or some file replication tool is overwriting the file from another copy of the code. And so on. The only people who might know this is going on would be the server or network administrators.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks very much!

Originally Posted by kiteless
    If the CF code in the app itself is overwriting the file, you could do a full text search through the codebase, looking for the name of the file. The idea would be to locate the code that is actually writing a file with that name.

However, it could be something outside of the CF code, and that really could be just about anything. Some file monitoring system could be noticing the change and running another build, or copying a backup version back onto the server. Or some file replication tool is overwriting the file from another copy of the code. And so on. The only people who might know this is going on would be the server or network administrators.
    Thanks very much!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo