1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

160gb Hard Drive Causes XP to freeze on boot

I have an older Dell system (by older I mean over 3 yrs) and I installed a WD 160 gb hard drive in it about a year ago using the supplied controller card, with an NTFS format to the drive. The drive (which has been my main data storage drive since I installed it) worked fine for that year.

Resently I was installing a program off of a cd that was scratched up pretty bad on to that drive. After multiple cleanings of the disk, and crashing of the installer the computer totally locked up. I couldn't even get the num lock lights to function. So I hit the reset button.

When the computer tried to come back up it froze at the blank (black) screen after the windows xp booting screen. After some intenstive trouble shooting of the attached hardware I discovered that if I removed the 160 gb drive from the system (either physically, or by disabling the controller card) the system booted fine. I also tried the drive connected directly to the EIDE controller on the motherboard with only the boot drive as the only other device and it was connected to the other controller, this also caused the system to freeze in the same spot. Trying the drive on another XP machine, and a windows 2000 machine resulted in simular issues (the windows 2000 machine stoped at the Windows splash with the scrooling blue bar.)

I even moved all of the data off of one of the other drives, reformated it, and reinstalled windows XP, and Service Pack 1 on that drive. When I connect the 160 gb drive up it does the same thing. Also trying to reinstall Windows with the drive attached causes Windows to freeze at the point that it tries to check that drive.

Now here is the real puzzling part, running the Western Digital diagonstics (It's called Life Gaurd or something like that) it doesn't show any bad sectors or anything on the drive (I did the extensive test that also does a phsyical scan of the drive, looking for damage to the platters I assume), and running NTFS-Reader allows me to read, and copy the files off of the drive, unfortunitly I don't have enough combined space on the two good drives (a 20gb. and a 9gb) to copy off the mission critical stuff I have stored on the drive (about a years worth of Video editing of old VHS tapes that I was transfering to DVD for my inlaws.)

Any suggestions other then reformat, and re-edit the VHSes?
    Last edited by thixen; April 22nd, 2004 at 09:38 AM.
  3. Contributing User

try reinstalling the controller card drivers from a different drive then try again
  5. No Profile Picture

Not sure if that'll make too much of a differance as I tried to install it on a whole other (and newer) computer using the built in controllers. This computer had a 160gb drive in it, so I assume that it has a controller on the board that can handle the size.

Also I can't remember if I mentioned that if I boot with the controller disabled, and then reinable it when I'm in Windows the CPU usage just from like 5% to 100%, and stays pegged that way. (I've left it on for over 16 hours hoping it would clear up, when I came back still 100%)

Also the drive is a Western Digital 1600j 7200 rpm drive if that helps any

thanks anyhow.
    Last edited by thixen; April 22nd, 2004 at 11:04 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile 160GB HDD Controller

Controller?

A stupid Question, is it SCSI or RAID, cos when windows setup launches you will need to look at the bottom, "hit F4 (i think) to install a third party SCSI or RAID Driver", aparts from that does you board even fully support a 160GB drive, do the Bridges support it?

Hope this helps ya!
  9. No Profile Picture

It's a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 raid card. The OS should support it with service pack 1, also the card came with the drive so it should.

The drive worked for about a year on this computer (same motherboard and hardware config) with no problems. Also the 2nd and 3rd computers that I tried it on are brand new ones (bought this month). One has 2 80gb drives the other a 160gb drive. I'm not what the drive speeds are though.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Did you load the RAID Driver when you installed your OS, so that the installer for the OS can read, FDISK, format and write to the drive correctly?

Did you BIOS see the drive as 160Gb?
  13. No Profile Picture

Since it's connected to the Controller card the Card's Bios detects the drive as a 160gb drive. I don't know if the computer's that I connected it directly to the motherboard's EIDE controller detected it as 160 gb or not, and no I didn't load the Raid driver when I installed the OS. I installed the card, and the drive long after the os was installed orginally, and this time around I'm trying to avoid having to fdisk the drive since their is data that I need off of it. Otherwise I would of just used the Life Gaurd tools to repartion the drive, and reformat it. I am however going to try to do a reinstall of the os with loading the card drivers when I get home though.

Thanks all,

Also more ideas are welcome because I'll likly work through them one at a time until I either run out of them or get the blasted thing working again, so keep `em coming.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo