1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

2GB Thumbdrive only shows 3.95mb of space!!!

My 2gb imation thumbdrive only shows 3.95mb of space. I tried to reformat the thumbdrive by right-click on the drive but it doesnt work!! Kindly help. Thanks so mcuh.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by misticallyknown
    My 2gb imation thumbdrive only shows 3.95mb of space. I tried to reformat the thumbdrive by right-click on the drive but it doesnt work!! Kindly help. Thanks so mcuh.
    Are there any files/folders showing? Try showing hidden files as well.

Is this a new drive?

When you try to format, what doesn't work? Error? If so, error message.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

I tried showing hidden files but still no files shown.

It was a thumbdrive that my friend had. But he had no idea why it changed to that.

When I reformat using ccleaner, it still shows 3.95mb.

Is there any way to recover the lost space?

P.S When I click properties of the thumbdrive, the total space it shows is 3.95mb...
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What are you trying to format it as? Aren't those things supposed to be FAT32? Are you trying for an NTSF?
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture

Still FAT but I'm trying to recover the lost space. ie making the available space back to 2gb.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned

The file table shouldn't matter. IMO, it sounds like a partitioning issue. Sometimes when you put an OS on a USB stick, you have to give it a small primary partition for the boot drive, so certain/older motherboards will support it and see it.

Look at the drive in Disk Manager. When you view the partitions, it will hopefully show one small 3.95MB formatted partition, and a large (around) 2GB partition as "unallocated space." If this is the case, remove the small partition, then create a new partition the full size of the drive.

If looking at the partitions shows ONLY the 3.95MB partition, and lists that as the drive's capacity, then the flash memory on the stick is probably fried.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by TheJim01
    Look at the drive in Disk Manager. When you view the partitions, it will hopefully show one small 3.95MB formatted partition, and a large (around) 2GB partition as "unallocated space."
    By Disk Manager, u mean partition manager? I used Easeus Partition Manager but it fails to register my thumb drive disk. Does it mean that my thumb drive is spoilt? Because im still able to make use to the 3.95mb of space..
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is it a U3 drive? U3 puts hidden partitions on a thumbdrive.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  17. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned

Originally Posted by misticallyknown
    By Disk Manager, u mean partition manager? I used Easeus Partition Manager but it fails to register my thumb drive disk. Does it mean that my thumb drive is spoilt? Because im still able to make use to the 3.95mb of space..
    No, I mean Windows built-in disk manager. Assuming XP:
    Right-click My Computer and select "Manage." There should be an option on the left called "Disk Management"--select it. In the bottom pane will be your physical disks, including USB drives which will be listed as "Removable." If your thumb drive is still OK, it will be listed as a little under 2GB (don't worry about that), with a 3.95MB partition, and a big section of unallocated space.

In case you can't edit the partitions in Windows, you can get a liveCD of Ubuntu (or similar), and use "gparted" to repartition your drive. Alternately, you can look at the drive manufacturer's website to see if they have any disk management tools.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by TheJim01
    If your thumb drive is still OK, it will be listed as a little under 2GB (don't worry about that), with a 3.95MB partition, and a big section of unallocated space.
    Seems my thumbdrive really spoilt. Only shows 4mb... Looks like have to buy a new thumbdrive.

Thanks everyone for their help anyway, esp TheJim01. Thank you.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Did you check for U3? If it's a sandisk many shipped with U3 preinstalled, and iirc you can't see the U3 partition even with fdisk. There is a U3 removal tool program available from sandisk website (runs on windows). I'd check that before throwing the stick away.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Did you check for U3? If it's a sandisk many shipped with U3 preinstalled, and iirc you can't see the U3 partition even with fdisk. There is a U3 removal tool program available from sandisk website (runs on windows). I'd check that before throwing the stick away.
    Just tried. Still failed... Haha
  25. No Profile Picture

Question

how good is integrated into Windows disk manager? Does anyone know which one is better or paragon disk manager?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo