1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advice Configuring A New Gaming Rig

Finally upgrading and getting a new gaming laptop. I know I'd be better off with a desktop, but I need the mobility since I'll be using it for work as well.

So basically I'm a gamer (skyrim, diablo 3 - soon hopefully, battlefield 3 and so on), need a 14" screen, a bigger one would just make it too heavy, storage is VERY important, need a good graphics card (nVidia's gtx580 maybe?). My budget for it is around $3500-4000. I'd also appreciate stores suggestions (online or actual stores located in the USA or that have worldwide shipping policy), I've been recommended Horize as selling gaming laptops but since it's a pretty serious investment I want to be sure and not take chances.

Any other questions you may have that will help you make suggestions, please feel free to ask!

I really appreciate it!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

$3500-$4000 Usd?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'll question the USD thing as well (and stores/locations would vary greatly if you weren't in the US.)

For now I'll assume you are and suggest Newegg.com as a great place to start. I personally would avoid buying a laptop of that caliber from a bricks-and-mortar store.
    Adam TT
  7. No Profile Picture

I can't really tell what you believe is wrong with my budget. I'm looking for a gaming laptop, $4000 can buy a pretty decent machine, not the cutting edge technology, I'm aware of that, but a good enough laptop to run the newest games without compromising the gaming experience. I was looking for advice regarding which components I should invest more in, though I know not getting equally well-performing components is not a good idea.

So if you have any advice regarding that matter, I'm very interested in your replies, though I have to admit, your suggestion of avoiding bricks and mortar stores is highly useful *blunt irony*
  9. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I just priced out nearly the most expensive alienware laptop they make at about $5,000 USD. You want to spend all $4,000 do that. You want help, fine, but don't be a snarky arsehole about it.
    Adam TT
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I can't really tell what you believe is wrong with my budget.
    What's wrong with your budget is that we don't know what it is.

I didn't ask you whether you meant $4000 USD for ****s and giggles. I asked because I needed an answer. I'm not interested in wasting your time anymore than I'm interested in wasting my own. The fact that you read my post, replied with a negative comment and still didn't answer the question is annoying. Especially when you can't not know the answer and it only takes three characters at most to type it. Your original post also told me to feel free to ask any questions I needed to, but apparently that wasn't true.

I'm not sure why you assume that we can telepathically know your location, especially when your original post is completely ambiguous about it. This is an international forum; people come here from all over the world. The US, Australia and Canada all use currencies called dollars, and all of them have different purchasing power. $4000 USD is not the same as $4000 AUD and not the same as $4000 CAD. Your original post asks for actual stores in the US (implying a US location), then you ask about worldwide shipping (unusual for a poster from the US) and then you mention Horize's (which sounds very Australian). Furthermore, $4000 USD is an incredibly high budget for a laptop (suggesting you didn't mean USD). So by the end of your post I don't know jack **** about what type of dollars you're talking about.

Furthermore, the advice of avoiding brick and mortar stores for a laptop in that price range is extremely good advice that you would be wise to heed. A $500 laptop might cost you $700 in a physical store, so you spend $200 for convenience, which isn't too bad. But physical stores mark up products using a percentage, not a flat amount. A $3000 laptop might cost you $5000 in stores, so at that point the price of convenience is much much higher.

Now for some reason I'll give you advice of my own. Take that $4000 and split it in half. Buy a gaming desktop for $2000 and a work laptop for $2000.

A $2000 desktop will outperform a $4000 laptop. It will also last longer, be easier to repair, and allow you to upgrade it in the future without having to replace the whole thing. You can get a pretty much top of the line desktop for $2000.

A $2000 laptop will do everything you could possible need except really hardcore gaming. A $2000 laptop is pretty much top of the line too, beyond that your value-per-dollar drops off a steep cliff.

Furthermore, better laptops have bigger screens, and 14" is a small screen. You will literally have difficulty finding a $4000 laptop with a 14" screen (unless you tack on a bunch of non-performance related upgrades).

A $1000-$1500 laptop would also do everything you need except gaming and a $3000 desktop would be a complete beast, so you wouldn't necessary need to split it 50/50.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. No Profile Picture

You are right and I sincerely apologize for being so ambiguous and not replying to your question. Firstly, yes I actually meant USD, secondly, no, I am not located in the US, I do however have friends and relatives in the US who could go up to a physical store, buy a laptop and ship it to me. I figured since many of the forum users are actually from the US they might know of great deals that aren't available in online stores.

Cutting edge gaming laptops out there can reach as high as 6000 USD, my intent was not to brag or offend anyone. I honestly appreciate your advice, but I'd rather just invest in a very good laptop than buy two.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo