1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advice on this PC build

G'day everyone I'm new here. I want some advice on this AUS$1800 build. The pc will be used for some gaming everyday use and connecting my PC to my plasma and watching live stream TV through my PC on my plasma, dual monitors (well TV+Monitor). What I'm not shore about is the GPU I should go for out of these three, GPU: XFX Radeon HD6970 2GB, or Asus ATI RADEON 6970, or The HIS ATI HD 6970 Fan 2GB GDDR5 256-bit, 880/ 5500 MHz, Dual-Link DVI, D-Sub, HDMI, DP, DX11, Fan . Which one out of these three do use think is best for my build and dual monitors set up,

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K $225.00
    MSY Online

RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Unbuffered Venge Memory $96.00
    Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Unbuffered Venge Memory for AMD, Intel Dual Channel DDR3, and upcoming 2nd Generation Intel Core??? platforms.
    GPU ??

SSD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB $279.00
    Crucial M4 SSD 128GB [CT128M4SSD2] - $279.00 : PC Case Gear

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced - $179.00
    CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced [RC-932-KKN5] - $179.00 : PC Case Gear

Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler $33.00
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler [RR-B10-212P-GP] - $33.00 : PC Case Gear

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX $85.00
    Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX [WD20EARX] - $85.00 : PC Case Gear
    Hard Drive 2:Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA3/2 - $87.00
    Western Digital WD1002FAEX - $87.00 - Centre Com

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO $237.00
    Asus P8Z68-V-PRO - $237.00 - Centre Com

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW $29.00
    Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW [IHAS324(BLACK)] - $29.00 : PC Case Gear

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W $169.00
    Silverstone Strider Plus 850W [ST85F-P] - $169.00 : PC Case Gear

TV Tuner: Leadtek WinFast DTV2000DS Dual HD Tuner $59.00
    Leadtek WinFast DTV2000DS Dual HD Tuner [LT-DTV2000DS] - $59.00 : PC Case Gear

Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM $96.00
    MSY Online
    MONITOR: Samsung BX2450 24" LED Full HD Widescreen $293.00
    Computers & Laptops Samsung MON 24IN 1920X1080 2MS MEGA DCR

the monitor,tv tuner, Western Digital Green 2TB, i have already purchased so minis $437

Any other recommendations please let me know.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, sakis27.

Which graphics cards exactly? What's the model number of each? Those 3 manufacturers offer multiple models with the Radeon HD 6970 GPU that have different clock-rate settings.

Which one out of these three do use think is best for my build and dual monitors set up,
    Any mid- to high-end graphics card can support at least 2 monitors these days.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K $225.00
    That seems to be the best Quad-processor under $250. I'm using it myself.

RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Unbuffered Venge Memory $96.00
    Those sound pretty good. From what I've heard, you can't do much better currently.

SSD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB $279.00
    Do you really need two traditional HDDs and an SSD?

Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
    That's the cooler I'm using. I put the optional second fan on it.

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB ... WD1002FAEX
    I'm using one of those too.

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW
    I prefer Samsung drives.

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W
    Do you really need an 850w power supply? At least that one's 80 Plus Silver.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Performance-wise all 6970 cards will have practically the same performance. They will all support both your monitors. Evaluate them based on price and warranty.

The HAF 932 is a massive and very heavy case. It is a really nice case though, so as long as you have the space go for it.

An aftermarket cooler isn't necessary unless you plan to overclock your CPU (or if you're buying an OEM processor that doesn't include a HSF).

The WD Green drives are not fast drives. Unless you care about a few extra watts I don't recommend using them.

850w is overkill. My system uses only 200w-400w running an i7 930, 2x 5850s, 2x SSDs and a mechanical drive. With your setup I would recommend 500w-650w. Your PSU will be less efficient if you run it at far below its rated power.

With the TV Tuner, keep in mind that you won't be able to hook it up to your cable.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    The HAF 932 is a massive and very heavy case.
    Massive compared to other full towers or just cases in general? There are few, if any, mid-towers that graphics cards over 11in will fit in.

Your PSU will be less efficient if you run it at far below its rated power.
    Really? I didn't know that. Do you know of any good articles that cover that?

2x 5850s
    How well does CrossFire work for you?

The WD Green drives are not fast drives. Unless you care about a few extra watts I don't recommend using them.
    Yeah. Perhaps he plans to store videos on it. I don't know any other reason why someone would want one.

An aftermarket cooler isn't necessary unless you plan to overclock your CPU
    That's the point of getting an i5-2500k. The "k" means that the cores are unlocked and you can overclock it. If he didn't want to overclock it, he could save a few bucks and get the i5-2500.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Welcome to DevShed Forums, sakis27.

Which graphics cards exactly? What's the model number of each? Those 3 manufacturers offer multiple models with the Radeon HD 6970 GPU that have different clock-rate settings.

XFX Radeon HD6970 2GB The XFX Radeon HD 6970 features 1536 Stream Processing Units at 880MHz and 2GB of GDDR5 memory at 1375MHz with a 256bit interface. Outputs: 2x DVI, 2x mini-DisplayPort and 1x HDMI. Backed by a two year warranty.
    HIS ATI HD 6970 Fan 2GB GDDR5 256-bit, 880/ 5500 MHz, Dual-Link DVI, D-Sub, HDMI, DP, DX11, Fan.
    ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB 5500MHz memory clock. Improved heat dissipation with 600% more airflow via exclusive DirectCU with a highly effective dual fan design. ASUS Super Alloy Power technology for 15% performance boost, 2.5 longer lifespan, 35C cooler operation. 3 year warranty.

Do you really need two traditional HDDs and an SSD?

I want to use the SSD for the OC and the HDD for storidge.

Do you really need an 850w power supply? At least that one's 80 Plus Silver.
    . The reason ive gone for the 850w is if later on I want to upgrade I won't need to get a bigger power supply and that's why I've gone for a full tower case to.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

850w is overkill. My system uses only 200w-400w running an i7 930, 2x 5850s, 2x SSDs and a mechanical drive. With your setup I would recommend 500w-650w. Your PSU will be less efficient if you run it at far below its rated power.
    How can you even run your pc?????
    An i7 requires a minimum of 450w...
    For a tech guy I would at least expect a smart response...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by BKoller
    An i7 requires a minimum of 450w...
    According to all benchmarks I've seen, an i7 requires between 150 and 250w, depending on what it's doing and on the model. That is consistent with intels power consumption details from the cpu specs I've seen.

Given E-Oreos description, we'd be talking about a peak power requirement of around 500w for his system. 200-400 during idle- and/or normal run-times seems pretty reasonable to me.

I even second his 500-650w recommendation. I'd expect power requirements of about 550w during peak hours for saki's system, so about 600w should probably be okay for the system's power supply in it's initial state. Anything else is just reserve for the future...

Originally Posted by BKoller
    For a tech guy I would at least expect a smart response...
    For somebody being new here, you're remarkably unfriendly once again. You might want to watch you attitude, since most of what I've seen from your replies wasn't that smart either...

Regards, Jens
    Last edited by JClasen; July 29th, 2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: clarification
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JClasen
    According to all benchmarks I've seen, an i7 requires between 150 and 250w, depending on what it's doing and on the model. That is consistent with intels power consumption details from the cpu specs I've seen.

Given E-Oreos description, we'd be talking about a peak power requirement of around 500w for his system. 200-400 during idle- and/or normal run-times seems pretty reasonable to me.

I even second his 500-650w recommendation. I'd expect power requirements of about 550w during peak hours for saki's system, so about 600w should probably be okay for the system's power supply in it's initial state. Anything else is just reserve for the future...

For somebody being new here, you're remarkably unfriendly once again. You might want to watch you attitude, since most of what I've seen from your replies wasn't that smart either...

Regards, Jens
    What's your deal?
    An i7 is incapable of running under 400w...
    A build that can run at 200-400w that is actually worth investing in than be my guest and show me...

You need to learn the difference between tone and criticism.
    All you do is bash me when you should learn to stick with your business, I never said anything about the 500-650w build, but Oreo's build is completely impossible unless it burns out every two hours.
    I've been working with computers for about 6 years now and learned specs on several high-end build; your comments here in this situation are unneeded.

Before you reply to this get some proof that a build that runs on 400w of power will actually run for more than two hours...
  17. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

E-Oreo did not say what his power supply was rated for. He was only telling us how much power it was actually using:
    My system uses only 200w-400w running

19. No Profile Picture

Got a question about the SSD, which one do you's think is the best one out of these two....OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD SATA3 2.5" , and the Crucial M4 128GB, here in Australia the Crucial M4 128GB seem to be prity popular but I'm not shore which one out of the two is the best one.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

@sakis27: As far as I know, the difference between both is very minor in practice. I'd go with the cheaper one at the moment.

@BKoller: You might want to take a page of your own book, about the tone vs. criticism thing. Professional criticism is one thing, but the way you do it is simply rude.

As for your years "in business": Congratulations, for me it's about 15 by now. What relevance does this have for this discussion?

Regards, Jens
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JClasen
    @sakis27: As far as I know, the difference between both is very minor in practice. I'd go with the cheaper one at the moment.

@BKoller: You might want to take a page of your own book, about the tone vs. criticism thing. Professional criticism is one thing, but the way you do it is simply rude.

As for your years "in business": Congratulations, for me it's about 15 by now. What relevance does this have for this discussion?

Regards, Jens
    No being rude would be insulting...
    Criticism has evolved from being a report to overall embarrassment.
    The fact that 15 years is impressive ,doesn't result in the fact of a 450w power supply running an i7 is impossible as the power supply would probably fry or melt in the case...
  25. No Profile Picture

buy power from 1KW and solve the problem

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo