1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Asrock Motherboard

Well I just built my first PC and it all went very smoothly but the best bit of the install was the video - what a babe !! It's worth buying the motherboard just for install CD.

Anyway back to reality-I managed to partition off the hard drive but I can find no way of getting back to format the other half. I may have to buy partition magic if I can't find another way.

Question- Do I need an extra case fan when using a AMD 2400xp.
    I only have the main heatsink and fan plus the PSU fan ??
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You do need a case fan, since the heat sink can only cool the cpu to the temp in the case. Without a fan, it will get very warm in the case, and the cpu will run hot.
    How did you partition the hard drive to start? If you have a new hard drive, the partitions are starting off blank, so I'm not sure why you want to format it? Can't you just name it like another drive and access it from windows, or install another os on it?
  5. <insert title here>

You can partition and format the other half with 'disk Management'

To get there (assuming your running XP or w2k) right click My Computer, click Manage.

On the window that opens up click 'disk management'. You should see your drive half formatted and half raw. Right click on the raw half and choose format.
    --the key to life is avoiding death--
  7. No Profile Picture

The partition was created when I loaded Windows XP.I will try loading Windows 98 on the other half .
  9. No Profile Picture

cagaru-that did the trick- i now have four separate drives.Is there a way to password protect these drives ??? thanks

karsh 44-My case is fairly old P2 and doesn't have provision for a chassis fan-
    Last edited by Tarquin2; January 9th, 2004 at 05:28 AM.
  11. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

P2 is your old processor, not the case. If you don't OC and leave space around the case, you will probably be ok even without a separate case fan. If you find that it does get too hot anyway, just take off the side panel. AMD's run a bit cooler than Pentiums, so I think you can get away w/o the fan.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo