1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Problem attaching processor fan

hello, I had an extra socket 939 processor. I therefore bought a motherboard and a processor fan. When I went to buy the fan I specifically asked for a socket 939 processor fan and on the box there is written that it is a socket 939 processor fan. However what I noticed is that the power connector of this fan takes four pins (image link) while on the motherboard I have only three pins available (image link). I connected it and it does start spinning.

The problem I have is that I had to squeeze (move) a capacitor in order for this to fit. The capacitor is still connected to the motherboard however I do not know how good it is to do this to the capacitors of the motherboard.

Do you people think I should buy a new processor fan? Or maybe I could buy a three-to-four pin adapter so that I reduce the pressure on the capacitor?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The type of power connection on the fan isn't related to the processor socket that it is designed to mount to. If nothing bad has happened yet then the capacitor is probably fine. If you're worried about it then buy an adapter. It might be cheaper to buy a 4-pin molex to 4-pin fan connector than a 3-pin to 4-pin connector.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ofcourse you should go with buying 4-pin molex to 4-pin fan connector than a 3-pin to 4-pin connector.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo