1. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Bad pixel on my LCD :/

on my new samsung widescreen monitor that i was so hyped about. I just noticed that there is a dead pixel on my screen towards the bottom. since i just took it out of the box today i decided i should take use of the 3 year warranty. So i went online and i fished around to figure out how to do so.

samsungs policy is that on a 19 inch widescreen monitor you need to have 10 or more bad pixels to apply for a monitor replacement under the warranty.

im personally not happy with this

it sounds strange to say this but.... is there a way to easily kill more pixels? (or revive my one dead one, as far as i know that is not possible)

edit: according to google i have a "stuck" pixel and not a dead pixel (it shows up green, not black)

i found this webpage if anyone is interested:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
    Last edited by misterdanny; December 25th, 2006 at 05:09 PM.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by misterdanny
    it sounds strange to say this but.... is there a way to easily kill more pixels? (or revive my one dead one, as far as i know that is not possible)
    Not really, other than hitting it, touching it with a heated needle, poking it hard or dropping it, there really isn't a way to do it and none of those are recommended to do as your warranty will not cover deliberate damage with needles !

Messing with the voltage of a monitor might do it too but none of this is recommended.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Not really, other than hitting it, touching it with a heated needle, poking it hard or dropping it, there really isn't a way to do it and none of those are recommended to do as your warranty will not cover deliberate damage with needles !

Messing with the voltage of a monitor might do it too but none of this is recommended.
    I read an article in pc gamer a few months back about reviving dead pixels by centering your finger on the pixel and applying pressure to it until you feel resistence.. i don't remember the details like whether or not the monitor had to be on or off.. but maybe I can dig up the article later.
  7. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by sejohnson
    I read an article in pc gamer a few months back about reviving dead pixels by centering your finger on the pixel and applying pressure to it until you feel resistence.. i don't remember the details like whether or not the monitor had to be on or off.. but maybe I can dig up the article later.
    Yeah, post that if you can. I'd be interested to know what they had written about it.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  9. Type Cast Exception

About killing pixels on purpose: don't try this at home because it works!

Obtain one nautical communications transmitter. Point at screen. Transmit. At least it creates a bright spot on a tv screen for about 10 seconds, looks pretty cool, thereafter there's a dead spot on the screen. Not sure if it would work on an LCD, but if you're motivated to try :-P

My friend who worked in boat restoration demonstrated this to me. I don't know what he was using, it was handheld and designed for communications at sea. Needless to say it had a pretty beefy signal whatever it was.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

the link misterdanny posted in his edit is basically exactly the same as what pc gamer said to do. it was probably for a 'stuck' pixel not a dead pixel like stated above.
  13. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by sejohnson
    the link misterdanny posted in his edit is basically exactly the same as what pc gamer said to do. it was probably for a 'stuck' pixel not a dead pixel like stated above.
    Cool. Thanks for letting me know.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  15. Null Pointer Exception

as a heads up
    i fixed my pixel!

also apparently dead pixels(show up black) are not fixable, but stuck ones are (usualy are red blue or green)

i used both the technuiqes in the link i posted. i left the java thing that blinks 60 colors per second or something like that(i forget) over the pxiel and i tried to using a damp cloth.

the software way of doing it didnt seem to have any results (or they werent noticable, i left it on for atleast a few hours)

but using the cloth thing did, i did a combination of applying pressure then turning the monitor on (and repeating) and also i tried moving the cloth from around the stuck pixel towards is (apprently theres some kind of liquid and its not properly getting to the stuck pixel areas, so i beleive i was pushing the liquid into the spot)

over time i noticed the pixel would blink between its "stuck" and working (showing what should be there).

also trying to leave a square of different shades of colors for the pixel to try to turn to i think also helps. (for instance there was a point where the pixel would work fine until it tried to show black, then it was stuck, so i had to do the apply pressure thingy)

im just leaving my story for anybody else with this problem.

i dont know so much about applying pressure until you feel resistance, i didn't try to apply too much pressure becasue i didn't want to brake the monitor.
  17. Providing fuel for space ships

Cooel ! That sounds like a no bad way of doing it and I'm glad that it worked for you.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  19. Null Pointer Exception

Because I was bored and I want to put some stuff on my website, I wrote a small article explaining the basic mechanics of stuck/dead pixels and ways to fix it. It's bassically a compilation of all of my research and trial and error

Mr-Danny.com - "How to Fix a Stuck or Dead Pixel on a LCD Monitor"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo