1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Black Screen on Monitor while Powering Computer

Hello, my computer recently crashed in the middle of a PC game, locking up the entire computer - forcing a shutdown via the main power button. Now, when I turn on my computer, there is no video input to the computer monitor. The monitor shows the LG logo with a blue light by the monitor power. Shortly afterward, the error "Analog - Power Saving Mode" appears on screen and the monitor power light turns to a "standby/idle" orange. I tested my graphics card at a friend's house and it is confirmed to fully function. When I turn my computer on, all fans start running on the PSU, CPU, GPU, and I hear my HDDs. If there's no video detected (not even a boot or a POST) - does this mean my motherboard has a dead PCI-E 16x slot or could it be something else? I recently dusted my computer machine and most components are 2-3 years old. Thank you very much.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What did you use to "dust" your machine?

Take a look at the motherboard and look for any "popped" capacitors. You can do a quick Google Image search to see what to look for. Try disconnecting everything and reseating it to see if that fixes it. Sounds like something either:

1. Overheated and failed.
    2. Cap on the board finally fried.
    3. PSU went bad.

You can usually buy a PSU from a local electronics store and try testing it with that. Most stores have a return period so if that doesn't fix the problem you can return it.
  5. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There's also a good chance the graphics card went out, too. Try replacing that (you should always be able to return that sort of merchandise if you have to buy one from a store, too.)
    Adam TT
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

check your RAM,Graphics card and monitor.
  9. No Profile Picture

check out your SMPS..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo