1. Learning MySQL, PHP & CSS
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

On-board v software RAID1

Hi, We have a Dell T110 server which has on-board PERC RAID controller. We are not using this but are instead using software RIAD 1 under Ubuntu Server 10.04LTS

We have not disabled the PERC RAID, just left it unconfigured... would this cause any problems?
    It said 'Insert disk #2', but only one will fit.
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Problems? Not likely. Although it's much more advisable to use the hardware RAID Controller instead. It uses a separate processor to handle the HDD's instead of relying on your main CPU.
    Adam TT
  5. Learning MySQL, PHP & CSS

Thanks Adam,

It wasn't me who set it up... I would have used the on-board.

Thankfully the server isn't under much load.

I just wondered as there have been some strange problems since it was put into service and that RAID configuration was the only odd thing I can think of. It's running Samba as a domain controller and decided to 'lose' a couple of the user's profiles this morning!

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    Problems? Not likely. Although it's much more advisable to use the hardware RAID Controller instead. It uses a separate processor to handle the HDD's instead of relying on your main CPU.
    It said 'Insert disk #2', but only one will fit.
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I hear you on the "I didn't do it" line. Seems all too often that happens; both in and outside of technical things. You should still be able to do a checkdisk and use other tools to verify the disks are OK. It's POSSIBLE, albeit unlikely, that all disks in the cluster failed in such a way they have corrupt sectors. Worth checking perhaps, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just wondered as there have been some strange problems since it was put into service and that RAID configuration was the only odd thing I can think of. It's running Samba as a domain controller and decided to 'lose' a couple of the user's profiles this morning!
    thats weird, ...
    my guess would be software error or user error

i had software raid for on linux for long time , and didnt see any problems so far on it ..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo