1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Building a new case for my computer

I'm building a new case for my computer out of aluminum. I know I need to avoid having the motherboard touch any part of the aluminum to avoid problems and frying it.

Anyone have any other pieces of input or other pieces of hardware I need to be careful with when making my case and setting them in it?
  3. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hmm what are cases normally made out of? Mine is aluminum or tin or something like that.

Just keep yourself grounded and you should be fine.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Those little screws that go under the motherboard are designed to keep it spaced far enough away from the case so it doesn't short out.

Hard drive controller boards can also short out, but that's very unlikely.

Heat is probably your main concern at this point.

Good luck.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks misterdanny and ManiacDan. I'm working on putting the motherboard in safely and I've got a pretty good layout to keep it well ventilated and cool so I'm hoping the heating won't be an issue.
  9. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Unless you are over clocking, using too small of a power supply, or have faulty hardware, heat is generally not an issue ever. When you see people with their helecopter blades attached to the side of their case to keep it cool, they are really just overcompensating for whatever heat there is.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Although the motherboard can't be all shorted out, I think it's good practice to ground it properly. When I built my case, I mounted the motherboard using 6-32 PEM studs, and 6-32 x 1/2" standoffs to space it away from the case.

You need special tooling to properly place PEM studs, but you could just as easily use a counter-sunk screw.

I've also always kinda wondered about using an aluminum block coupled to an aluminum case as a heatsink...if you did it right you could probably get away without a fan...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo