1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Button for vehicle steering wheel for spacebar

Hello all,

I am in search of a unique set-up. Before I built something of my own, I figured I would ask.

I frequently go on test drives with multiple different vehicles to test camera systems in cars. To do this, I need to drive on curvy roads (with a manual transmission). In addition, I also have a laptop on the passenger seat recording the data. If something acts weird with the video I'm recording, I need to "mark" the frame on the computer (so I can refer back to it later) by hitting the spacebar twice.

Oh, did I mention I can only do this at night?

So, as you can see, this process is quite dangerous.

So what I would like to do is install a one button switch that I can attach/detach easily to the steering wheel of the car. I would like the switch to mimic the pressing of the spacebar so if I need to mark a frame in the video, I can just hit the switch without taking my hands off the steering wheel.

Does anything in the current market exist like that today? If not, what is the difficulty level of making something like that on my own?

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

That sounds pretty specialized so I doubt there's much of a demand for products like that on the market. It doesn't sound very difficult to build.

Have you considered just using a voice activated macro on the laptop to trigger the mark function? Then all you'd have to do is shout something like "mark".

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees : I was going to suggest a voice command as well.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

A very good solution indeed! I had not thought of that!

So this brings up two questions:

1: How do I go about doing that?

2: If there is no microphone on the laptop (which is rare, I know, but they exist), is there a solution for that like originally proposed?
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Microphones are MUCH more common now. I'd say most mid-grade and better laptops probably have one built in. If you find out you don't you can always buy one, or a headset. It's EXTREMELY RARE now to find one that has neither a mic or a mic input port.

As for how you do it.....I don't know of any free ones off the top of my head, but I'm sure google can tell you just as quickly as I can. I know there is a program called "Dragon" (even has a commercial in the US right now) that works pretty well, but it's not free.
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm pretty sure Windows 7 has speech recognition macros built in, although I haven't used them before.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. No Profile Picture

awesome, well thanks team, i appreciate the feedback!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo