1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Y cable with my AMD 7970 video card

I all, I just received my brand new AMD 7970 video card. This beast had 2 power connectors on the back, one 6 pin and one 8 pin.

My PSU is modular, I checked in my box and saw that I have Y cables, one end connects to the PSU, while the other end is, well, it's really a 'Y', they come one after the other in fact, but the first connect is a real 8-pin connector and the other one is a 6+2-pin connector.

My main question is : can I use this and only cable to connect the 6+2-pin (leaving the '2' unplugged) on the wire to the 6-pin on the video card and the 8-pin on the cable with the 8-pin on the video card? I mean, the same cable getting the 2 connectors connected on the video card or I need 2 separate cables, one dedicated to the 6-pin and the other one dedicated to the 8-pin?

Thanks a lot.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

As long as the power rail supplying the power to that Y is strong enough for your video card, there should be no problem using it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The power supply is a Thermaltake Thoughpower XT Gold 1475W, should be plenty of power, should work?

PSU link : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153154
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Most definitely should work with that much power available from PSU.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo