1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't load drivers

This is an HP Pavilion laptop. Just recently I had to replace the hard drive. All drivers worked except 5 "Other devices" those being the PCI Modem, PCI Flash, Multimedia controller, Video controller showing in Device Manager. In the past I have gone to the driver details, gotten the IDS hardware filename i.e. PCI\VEN etc and searched for them with the manufacturer and then saved and then opened and always could get them loaded. Now, I can't get one of them to work. Everything seems to work, just no sound.

My computer is a Gateway, so HP isn't what I know well. I have done it several times with my Gateway, but is there a reason it is problematic with an HP? I have been to the HP site, also tried driveridentifier.com and also Microsoft Catalog. No luck. With the Gateway, you had to put the files into the CABS folder, but not with the HP, it creates a folder called SWsetup. Even if you put the downloaded driver files in there, some of them don't have EXE files and even if they do, nothing happens. The instructions just say, extract to a folder on your hard drive. It is from there that I can't get anywhere on this HP.

I would appreciate any help.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

It will be easier to to help you if you specify following:
    - Full model name of the laptop, eventually with link to download page
    - Which of the drivers you have downloaded for that model on HP site
    - The OS you are using
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

HP Pavilion zd7058cl, Win XP, SP 3, Home Edition

I believe I was able to load the PCI Modem driver as it no longer appears under Device Manager.

So I took these PCI\VEN descriptions and did a search in the HP driver site. I downloaded what it said. Sometimes it was just an update, not the initial driver. Frankly, again it is somewhere in the instructions where I believe my trouble lies. I put the files on my Desktop, then I would open them and look for a setup.exe file. If it had one, I would follow the instructions, but then when I restarted the computer there would be no change, with the exception of the PCI Modem. Some files I downloaded did not have a setup.exe file. I just don't know what to do next and how I get the driver into the right place for it to be extracted.

PCI MODEM PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D6&SUBSYS_006A103C

MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROL
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_006A103C

NETWORK CONTROLLER
    PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_00E70E11

PCI FLASH MEMORY
    PCI\VEN_1524&DEV_0510&SUBSYS_006A103C

VIDEO CONTROLLER
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_031A&SUBSYS_006A103C

THANKS
  7. Lord of the Dance

So you have visited the HP Download site to get all drivers:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=366393

For the modem, it refer to the setup file at this page:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=hb-14013-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=366393&sw_lang=
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, that is what I used.

I also tried several online driver free programs which just put a lot of extra stuff on the computer, but none of them loaded any of the drivers. One in fact said the driver was not available.

With that Conexant AC-Link Audio, I believe that is the one that worked.

Somehow I just got the Multimedia Audio controller to disappear out of the Device Manager and I have music. I really don't know what I did different.

I will just keep trying. Do you know what I do if I get the file downloaded from HP and it does not have a setup.exe. file?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All of my searches keep bringing up these 3 options for the Network Controller, PCI Flash Memory and the Video Controller.

Realtek RTL8139 Series PCI Fast Ethernet Driver for Windows XP This contains the Windows XP driver for the Realtek RTL8139 Series PCI Fast Ethernet Controller. PURPOSE : Routine Release [File download is [sp25612])

Realtek RTL8139 Series PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Driver
    This contains the Windows XP driver for the Realtek RTL8139 Series PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. [sp26222]

Realtek RTL8139 Series PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Driver
    This package contains the driver for the Realtek RTL8139
    Series PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. PURPOSE : Routine [sp28911]

The ones that I try to load that say Routine Release, seem to be maintenance things, not the drivers. They will go through the process, but still don't load the driver. The SP2622 might have been the one that fixed the Multimedia Audio Controller.

Totally stuck for the 3 drivers still needed.

Thanks.
  13. Lord of the Dance

Sounds like you did a re-installation of Windows with on the new HDD. How did you make the installation? Using a recovery DVD?

First, I will make sure I have the setup files for all drivers and (re-)install them all and then reboot the system.

Also take a a look at their support site:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=366393

If nothing of this work, it might be an idea to contact HP directly instead of trying to download it on a random unreliable web-page.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I did a reinstall, new hard drive, had the windows disk.

I now have 4 out of 5. What I did was, I took the PCI/VEN description, copied and pasted into Google and I came across a site called driverlookup. It listed other file names that I had not seen. So then I did a search of those and found 2 in the CNETdownload site. I downloaded those and they worked on the first try.

I am still looking for the media card reader file, or the one called PCI Flash Memory. I tried several, one actually said it was installed, but turned out it wasn't.

If anyone has any ideas for that, please let me know. The search actually said it was problematic, and once you put it on you needed a fix, but I couldn't even get the original driver loaded.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo