1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New Computer what to do

I have been looking at Macs but they are about $1300.00au for the basic desktop, bit expensive.

So windows 7, is it still a good choice of OS?
    Can I make my own computer still or would it be just better to buy one from the shop.
    I like the new screens like the ones in the shop have.
    I am just wondering it has been such a long time since I made one would it still be feasable to make one?

Would anything be missing or has the technology stayed the same?

I want a good tough all rounder at a good price.

Any tips?

Cheers
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I like Windows 7 a lot. If you're technically inclined it can be a lot of fun to build your own system. If not, it's better to buy one so you have the whole system covered by a warranty and technical support. The basic concepts are probably the same as the last time you built a system, but the technology is probably a lot different.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you decide to buy a pre-made system I'd highly suggest considering Lenovo. I've been really impressed with their laptops, I'm not sure if they make desktops though. Just my $0.02 USD. (I'm not sure what's available down under)
    Adam TT
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks Guys

I really just need a good all rounder computer.
    Not into laptops, it will not be a portable computer.

I mean if I built one can somone name all the components I will need, this is what I am thinking:

HDD
    RAM
    Motherboard
    DVD Drive
    Graphics card
    Case
    Monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Anything else I would need to keep up with modern technology?
  9. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It all depends. Hard drive space, memory, motherboard features... depends on what you want to do with the computer.

Minimum requirements for any decent computer nowadays:
    - 500GB (total) HD
    - 4GB RAM
    - CD/DVD writer, BlueRay is a bonus
    - Dedicated graphics card sold within the last couple years
  11. Automagically Delicious

Another thing is budget. A good idea is to come back here and say what it is you want to do and how much you'd be willing to spend. Also include anything you can reuse (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.) since that can really help reduce the overall cost.
    Adam TT
  13. No Profile Picture

yeah about $1200.00 max including monitor and a cheap version of Office.
    I would just buy one from the store and I was liking the Mac but it doesn't seem like you get much bang for buck with the mac.
    I dont want to buy one from the store then realise they skimped on graphics card quality or motherboard features for a lower price, you know what the major chain stores are like.

The is a computer magazine here called APC, I might check them out to see if there are any good customs for sale.
    Or go to my local computer shop.
    I would like to make one but I hate buying cases, they are always dodge in some way.

Mainly all I want is a good all rounder, surf the net, run a few programs nothing special. No games but would like good graphics so it can run movies without lagg.

Thanks for the replys.
  15. No Profile Picture

Smile New Computer

Hello,

I would recommend for you to purchased a new computer in local malls or before making a purchase, you may need to do some research and get some quotes from sites which sells computer such as ebay, wallmart or k-mart. There are lot of options to choose from so you need to be aware of the new technologies...

Originally Posted by FarNorth
    I have been looking at Macs but they are about $1300.00au for the basic desktop, bit expensive.
    Hello, I would recommend for you to buy a computer in near stores in your area. This will save you time and effort!

So windows 7, is it still a good choice of OS?
    Can I make my own computer still or would it be just better to buy one from the shop.
    I like the new screens like the ones in the shop have.
    I am just wondering it has been such a long time since I made one would it still be feasable to make one?

Would anything be missing or has the technology stayed the same?

I want a good tough all rounder at a good price.

Any tips?

Cheers
  17. Automagically Delicious

Well IMHO I think you are dead on with saying you get less for more $$ when you start talking Mac. I think if you went out with the plan to spend $1000-1200 you would get a good PC that would last you many years and still be reasonably up-to-date. Whereas a Mac for the same cost would get you only a couple years before it was bargain-basement level.
    Adam TT
  19. No Profile Picture

yes thanks
    I have been looking at some nice HP for about $950.00, they have the 3.1 Ghz AMD, 1 TB HD, few gig of ram, few GB graphics card and a nice 20" Monitor.
  21. Automagically Delicious

Their early days of desktops were shaky but I think HP's come a long way in making a half-way decent machine. I've had two HP Laptops for work now and haven't had any major* complaints (* minor complaints notwithstanding.) Considering you want a decent machine that should last you a long time without having to concern yourself with falling behind the curve too soon it would probably suit you just fine.
    Adam TT
  23. No Profile Picture

Whatever we buy a computer, something new will come out for 6 months to a year ... so it is not worth much to invest and buy expensive. laptop is a good solution if you need a laptop if you prefer a home computer, then for the same money you can get a little stronger machine that you can upgrade and add hardware ...
  25. No Profile Picture

and home computers are easier to repair the laptop. laptop maybe you can not always fix

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo