1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Computer does not boot after Dell logo

When you turn the computer on, it gets to the Dell logo and then just sits there. The screen says to use F2 or F12. I have used those and every other function key and have been tapping those right after turning the computer on, and still no boot. When the computer is turned on from a cold start, just about the time the Dell logo shows up, it makes one beep. Then you can do nothing. This is a Dell Inspiron 530S running Windows XP. This is a friend's computer and he said that he only uses it for email and he said he had gotten previously some error messages showing up in Outlook Express. Suggestions? This computer is minimally used and is about 2 to 3 years old.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

can you boot from a bootable cd like maybe a hirens boot cd?...to see if it may be a hardware problem? if it boots from hirens, there are programs on that disk that can help you test the hdd, ram, etc.
    If that all checks out, then, I'm afraid windows is most likely corrupt in some way.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you can get to the boot device menu with F12 you could try booting a linux live cd. Doing this will help identify if you have a hardware problem or not. Also you can use a live cd to recover data off a windows system disk if the disk is good and something else is preventing windows from booting.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I will try that option tomorrow when I can access the computer, thank you.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

sporky12

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1085300

According to the Dell 530 troubleshooting page 1 beep indicates a bios checksum error.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I did some research on all of the information, checked out the checksum error. When looking at the probably BIOS error, one suggestion was to just unplug it from the electricity and wait at least 20 minutes. (I also made sure that I pushed the power button to get all juice out of the system.)

That was done, although the time span was closer to two hours. Plugged it back in and the screen went past the Dell logo, able to open up email. I haven't actually seen the computer in person, but so far, just unplugging it seems to have reset something.

My next step would have been to pull the battery, but this seemed to do the same thing.

Thanks for the earlier posts. Consider this problem solved unless I repost.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Still working after two weeks

I went and checked out the computer and it has booted up fine ever since.

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo