1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Computer HP m7660pt won't start!! Help please...

Hi there!!

I have an HP m7660pt (you can view the specs here:
    hphardware.com/page/model.asp?model_nu=RJ770AA&part=

My problem is that when I press Power On the fans come up, I hear the fans working for 1-2 seconds and then everything shuts off... Nothing is displayed in the screen and no indication that pc really started. After everything (including fans stop) the front light remais on...

Firstly this problem started to happen once in a while and now I can't turn on the computer at all.

Already tried to unplug almost everything... Even took the CMOS batery off for a while. No luck...

You can view a video of the problem here:
    youtube.com/watch?v=eyW89wPGqnk

Any idea of what might be wrong??

Please somebody help 'cause I'm going mad here
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Bad power supply. Unplug absolutely everything besides the motherboard and graphics card if it needs one. If it still doesn't start, try a new power supply.

Don't reply with "No way man, my power supply is 30,000,000 watts!" haha. That HP uses a socket 775 pentium 4, which intel stopped around the early half of the decade - the capacitors in power supplies degrade roughly 10%/year I believe. It'll still display that it's outputting good 12v, 5v and 3.3v, but without a professional grade load tester, you wont know if it's outputting it's rated wattage
  5. No Profile Picture

Computer HP m7660pt won't start!

Sounds like a power supply failure.The supplies they put in those units were pretty whimpy. You can yank the supply out and take it to a puter shop (some of the big box stores will test them) and have it tested. That is what I would do, retrofit is pretty easy but do get, if it proves to be bad, a heavier PSU. Good luck!
  7. No Profile Picture

I would rather say that the motherboard. attaching the second power and try
  9. No Profile Picture

Nothing to worry. Itís all because of bad power supply. Unplug all connection from motherboard and plug it again, or change the power supply.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo