1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Computer works Monitor quit working

I have an old (8 yrs?) Dell desktop computer with WinXP. Can't tell you anymore then that because I have 3 computers and since I can't see the monitor I forget which is which.

We had a lightning storm about a month ago. EVERYTHING worked except I couldn't get on the internet. Finally got around to putting in a new Network Card, yesterday. Since I had the computer case opened, I did take a can of air and cleaned out the dust,etc. (carefully) Anyway, I hooked her all back up and everything worked perfectly, used it all afternoon. I left it on, as usual. When I woke up this morning, the computer was still going, but the monitors screen was black,and the monitors light was yellow.

I tried turning the monitor off and back on. But, the light stays yellow, it will not go green. So, I took one of my other monitors and hooked it up. That monitor turns on but won't work either. The weird thing is, I plugged both monitors into the wall first, without being plugged into the back of the computer and the lights are green, but all I have to do is touch the cable to the plug-in,on the back of the computer and the light goes yellow. I don't even have to screw the plug in, just touch it to the plug-in, in the back of the computer.

any advice would be appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ok, so the cables are not loose at all correct?

If you've tried two different monitors, and the cables are not loose, it sounds like either the video card has gone out on your computer, some bad RAM (probably not the case with a desktop), bad motherboard, or possibly you need to reset your BIOS settings.

I know it sounds silly, but have you tried just rebooting the PC to see what happens? Try taking out the CMOS battery (it's the only circular/silverish battery in the motherboard. Wait two minutes and put the battery back in and see if the PC turns on.

If that doesn't work take out the video card and all but one stick of RAM and see if the computer turns on and gives you an auditory beep error.

With canned air you do have to be a little careful. If you put the can upside down, or on it's side, the spray that comes out could damage components. It's also possible that the surge that took out your NIC did in fact damage other components.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It couldn't have been from the surge. As I said in my earlier post, I used it all afternoon with no problems. Was able to surf, check email, etc. whatever happened, happened overnight.

I have no idea how to reset the BIOS. But, I will try to do the other things you suggested. Yes I have rebooted, several times. The bad thing is, I have to unplug it, since I can't see the monitor to shut it down the right way. I may damage something else by doing this.

thanks for your help.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Not to be argumentative, but yes it could have. Surges don't necessarily kill machines right away; it can happen over a period of time.

To reset the BIOS settings just take out the battery like I unstructed and wait 2 minutes. Put the battery back in.

To "safely" shut down the PC hit the power button and wait one minute to see if it safely shuts down on its own. Most modern computers have an ACPI (i think that's right) compliant BIOS that will shutdown the PC for you during the Windows shutdown process. Windows may be set to shutdown when you press the power button. If that doesn't work, instead of yanking the power cord out just hold the power button down until it shuts off (can take 10 seconds or so).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo