1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Computer monitor vs TV as a monitor

i was wanting to use a 1080p, 26" TV for use as a computer monitor. before i went out to buy one, i was wondering if it would be worthwhile. would it work/look as good as an actual monitor?

thx
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by WynnDeezl
    i was wanting to use a 1080p, 26" TV for use as a computer monitor. before i went out to buy one, i was wondering if it would be worthwhile. would it work/look as good as an actual monitor?

thx
    I use a 1080p 50" TV for my monitor, and love it. I had purchased a vid card that supports hdmi for use with it. My only problem, is that every so often the text is small. But that's more of how far away I sit... I adjust the size though when reading, so it's not that big of a deal. I don't want to go back to my dual monitor setup ever since transferring over to the tv.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

great, thanks!

btw. do you connect your computer to the tv using the HDMI cable only? if so, i guess you don't come into the PC input on the tv, rather an HDMI input?
    Last edited by WynnDeezl; December 27th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by WynnDeezl
    great, thanks!

btw. do you connect your computer to the tv using the HDMI cable only? if so, i guess you don't come into the PC input on the tv, rather an HDMI input?
    If you have an hdmi port on the computer, then that's all you would need to connect. The HDMI would be used for both audio and video.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture

You need to purchase and install HDMI cable and HDMi PCi card.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

wow. i got a 32" tv and hooked it up just using the VGA cable and my original video card. freakin awesome. i do need to get a new vid card tho, because i can't get the resolution high enough to get the windows/text small as it should be.

also, i was told that i could split the digital cable coming in and take it to my TV for regular tv channels and also keep using the modem and computer. just change the inputs on the tv to get what i wanted to watch.

I'd recommend going this route to everyone. it rocks. esp for COD MW3!! wow.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo