Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Have either of you tried to boot your OS CD?

First go into CMOS setup (tap DEL or hold down shift and set first boot device to CDROM), reboot you computer with the OS CD in the CRDOM.

Can either of you get into CMOS setup at all?

Tom
    HijackThis
    Ad-aware
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    Housecall Online A/V Scan

Please read the stickys at the top of the forum before posting!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

When I turn the computer on you can hear it turn on but you can see anything on the monitor and nothing else is reconized.
    you can get in to bios or nothing... any ideas??? thanks
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by robtiff4
    When I turn the computer on you can hear it turn on but you can see anything on the monitor and nothing else is reconized.
    you can get in to bios or nothing... any ideas??? thanks
    How do you know that nothing is recognized if you can't see anything on the monitor? That is, how do you know its not recognizing the keyboard, mouse, etc. when there is no way to see results?
    Does the monitor turn on and just go black, or does it turn on but show the "no signal" message, or doesn't it power on at all?
    One possibility I've heard recently is that your power supply might be too weak, possibly failing. If you have another one around you could try switching them out.
    However, I'm going to reiterate my earlier suggestion that you look at a new, low cost computer. Even if you get it working, a 5 year old computer is not extremely useful for any current applications. The cheapest new Dell you can buy would be a huge improvement.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You may want to try the HP forums:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...e.do?forumId=1

Tom
    HijackThis
    Ad-aware
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    Housecall Online A/V Scan

Please read the stickys at the top of the forum before posting!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have an older Celeron-2 machine that I lost the video with. It only worked in Safe mode and I couldn't get the video drivers to work. It was a new build and it worked briefly, I moved the machine and it stopped working with just the blacked out screen. I tried 2 AGP video cards without success. I was stumped and pretty much gave up on it. It wasn't worth spending more money to fix it. And you can only reformat and reinstall the o/s and drivers so many times. I bought an older ATI all in wonder PCI video card off ebay for my newer AMD/XP box to play around with video capture. Turns out that the ATI card doesn't work with XP. So, I pulled the AGP video card from the older machine and stuck in the PCI video card. It works fine with the PCI card. Problem solved.
  11. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

hi, I'm new to this forum, so correct me if I have done anything wrong!

I have a computer that like the posts above, isn't booting, I'll turn on the power, but nothing appears on the screen and the bios does not beep. The hard drives and cd-roms and everything is working correctly, but there is no output on the monitor. I have tried almost everything, from re-mounting the motherboards and RAM, unplugging every cable possible, resetting the cmos (by removing the battery and moving the jumpers) and replacing them and changing the processor.

Most places I have been to to look for help have said, "check that the AGP/PCI graphics card is in place and the contacts are cleaned" . . . . but the graphics driver I am using is an onboard intel 82810. I have tried to put in a PCI graphics card to see if that helped, but still no output on the screen.

My computer specs are:

- Intel Celeron 1.0Ghz Processor
    - Intel Graphics 82810
    - 1 x 128 SD RAM
    - 1 x 256 SD RAM (added later on, but worked afterwards)
    - 30GB quantum hard drive
    - Yamaha CD-RW
    - Epson Floppy Disk Drive

sorry for the length of this, but I am desperate for help! any suggestions, thanks

David
  13. No Profile Picture

I have the same problem with my friend's computer, i have troubleshooted this computer by changing nearly everything, motherboard, cpu, psu, gfx card, unplugged any possible causes such as hard drives, floppy and cd-roms, even tried a pci gfx card... but nothing changed.. i tried different combinations of those. Changed to a monitor i knew worked.. still nothing. I am hard at work trying to figure what the problem is, but would appreciate any help along the way.. even small or very simple ideas are useful to me. Thx!
  15. No Profile Picture

Wink

FIXED!!! it turned out to be two things at once
    1st - motherboard shorted on the case
    solution: case standoffs
    i fixed it by putting a plastic ring in between the screw
    hole and the motherboard.)
    (to see if this is ur prob.. hook up the motherboard on a piece of cardboard... (motherboard, psu, ram, keyboard, cpu & cpu cooling... only the basics)
    2nd - burned out cpu
    solution: put good cpu in
    (had tried another cpu at first.. but shorted case prevented me from getting anywhere)
    (if you think the cpu may be fried take it out of the motherboard and carefully inspect it looking for burn marks or melted silicon)
    Hope this helps someone... ill see ya later peoples!
  17. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Nicely done
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  19. No Profile Picture

Unhappy monitor says no signal when pc powers on

hya all,im wondering if you can help me. My pc was playing up a few weeks ago so called what i thought was a repair man out, he though it was my power supply as pc was dead, then wen he checked sed it was motherboard. When i recieved it back graphics were awful phoned him bk he came an checked it,an sed it was graphics problem due to it being onboard,so was going to bring another graphics card on friday, never turned up! I took it to a reputable pc shop an he sed he will try wih graphics card >was working fine in shop wen i got it home cannot get image from monitor is saying no signal would be grateful if any1 could help only it seems strange that it was working till i got it home.
    thank you
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo