1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is it possible to connect a laptop to a tower?

Okay I want to connect my laptop to my computer tower. I have the monitor cord to do so, but I keep getting a black screen. I was wondering whether or not it is possible to hook a tower up to a laptop and have that information from the tower be displayed on the laptop (like making the laptop into a monitor, more or less, with the capabilities of using the laptop's keyboard and mouse). I know it's possible to hook my laptop up to my computer monitor, but is it possible to hook my laptop up to my tower and have it work?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

What is the end result you want; are you just trying to share files/printer? If so, you can buy a cross-over patch cable (looks just like an ethernet cable) to connect the two, or by a cheap switch or router. That would most likely be the easiest way; provided you're just trying to share files/folders.
  5. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds like you might be trying to create a "headless" server/desktop
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  7. Inherits Programmer.Slacker

If you're trying to use your laptop as a monitor for your desktop, I am unaware of any way to do this through hardware means - your video port is unidirectional - that is, it only goes out and cannot accept incoming data. You can use programs like Remote Desktop (Windows 2000+ RDP emulator), or VNC to display your PC's Windows/etc... session on your laptop.
    Fisherman

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - A.Einstein
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, I'm trying to use my laptop as a monitor for my tower, nothing more (well, I want the laptop's mouse and keyboard to work as well on the tower). I don't care to share any files or anything of that sort, I just want to be able to use my laptop as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse for my tower. Thanks!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(OO;?(Like I would know such a fantastic thing?)

Yes, here is Hardware Forum. Very apropriate here for hardware solution. What is that monitor code thing from the start? Tell us in details about its feature, principle and connector interface .
  13. They call me geek here........
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Get windows xp pro on the tower and hook it up using remote destop, google it there are plenty of tutorials!.

From the hardware point of view, you will have to change the bios on the tower not to report the lack of keyboard and mouse, after that it will work fine with a x-over patch cable and the right protocols installed!

Easy
    Did this help? If so, please add to my Reputation by clicking the at the top of this post

My Folding: -

15. They call me geek here........
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Why dig up an old thread?
    Did this help? If so, please add to my Reputation by clicking the at the top of this post

My Folding: -

17. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb I Need Help Also.

AND THAT I AM. I AM TRYING TO DO THE SAME THING AND HAVE NO IDEA IF I CAN. IF YOU FIGURE IT OUT PLEASE HELP. I WILL DO THE SAME OK. THANKS
  19. Automagically Delicious

WELL THANKS FOR BRINGING UP A NEARLY 4 YEAR OLD SOLVED THREAD BY NOT READING IT AND SHOUTING.

Now, read post #4 about the port being unidirectional and realize that this is still valid. If you need the extra monitor, buy one. And maybe then you'd realize you should post your own new topic instead of bringing to life threads from the deep crypts.
    Adam TT
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm going to assume you're new to forums. Reviving a very old thread is considered in-appropriate forum usage (mostly because spammers like to do it). To answer your question though, the vga adapter is an output only on both the laptop and desktop. Thus you can't send a signal from one to the other. You could use something like logmein, or remote desktop (if you have XP Pro) to "remote" into the desktop from your laptop. If you still have questions please create a new thread; perhaps an admin can lock this one?
  23. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

shannonfromtenn - using capital letters on a forum is considered as shouting, please re-write your question in it's own thread if you don't find the answer in this one.

Thread closed. If anyone has any issues with me closing this, please don't hesitate to PM/e-mail me.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo