1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Connecting SSD hard disk upside down.

Hello, I have bought an SSD hard disk to install in my PC. My first question is; does it make a difference if I connect it upside down? For some reason it fits upside down but not the other way round? I would assume that for a normal "spinning" hard disk connecting it upside down might be a problem. However does it make a big difference for an SSD hard disk?

Note: after posting this I just realized that the other SSD hard disk in my laptop is always upside down. However I would still like to make sure it is ok as I do not wish to damage it.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

an SSD is a circuit board. It contains no moving parts whatsoever. You can turn it around just like you turn your smart phone around or whatever you might be using. The electrons don't care.

Comments on this post

• sim085 agrees
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

an SSD is a circuit board. It contains no moving parts whatsoever. You can turn it around just like you turn your smart phone around or whatever you might be using. The electrons don't care.
    Ok great, just wanted to confirm
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can mount a mechanical drive in any orientation too, you just shouldn't drop it.

Comments on this post

• sim085 agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It all depends on the slots provided by the manufacturer. Orientation of the HDD really does not matter. And the ports and connectors are made in such a way that only a right connector of a cable can be inserted in the right port, unless you try to use excessive force to push it in. You may end up damaging the drive ports.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo