1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU on my laptop not working at full speed

Hi everybody, I own a DELL XPS 1702x laptop that comes with an Intel i7 2630QM Processor ( http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/...ache-2_00-GHz) ).

I should run at 2 Ghz, but it seems to run only at 800 Mhz. I ran CPU-z and it say the correct CPU, and such;

In the BIOS, I can't edit anything to make it work properly, at full speed. The computer feels slow and sluggish.

I ran the Intel Burn Test 2,51, and I see under Task Manager that all CPUs goes to 100% load, but under CPUz, nothing changes, it stays at 800Mhz like the screenshot.

Right now, I have a 90W adapter connected to it, it needs a 150W (at work right now) to actually charge the battery. Do I really need the 150W adapter to get a 'boost'?

I can't believe I can't get full performance with a 90W or while unconnected.

How can I get the most out of my CPU?

Thanks a lot all!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just did some testing, I ran Prime 95 and Intel Burn Test, and the CPU does not get his boost.

The Bus Speed stays at 99,8 Mhz, but the multiplier does not increase to get his boost, it stays at x 8.0, so I'm getting a lame 798,3 Mhz total, and I don't get any boost at all.

It is supposed to get the multiplier to about x 25.0 so I could have 2,5Ghz processor, but it does not do it, someone knows why?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow, resolved, but this is really weird.

Like I said, I have a 90W power adapter at home, so I keep my battery at the same level, but not charging, which is fine.

BUT, it seems that the laptop knows when he has a 90W adapter connected while it needs a 150W while in windows, it refuses to boost the CPU multiplier if so.

I simply unplugged the adapter while running the prime95 test and the multiplier increased immediatly, I connected it again and multiplier came back to x 8.0.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

can you try switching power plans to 'high performance' ?

this should try to put the cpu at max possible frequency.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi Buddy, there can be a possibility that speed of ram doesn’t match with the Mother board Bus speed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo