1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What are the possible culprits to these symptoms?

My friend's computer goes to a blank screen at random times when it is running.. Usually while booting up it will do it, but sometimes it can reach all the way to the desktop screen before it blanks out.

It's not overheating, because I cleaned all the fans and did GPU/CPU stress tests for 30 minutes when I was able to get the computer to run for a while; this was a couple days ago, now it won't even stay on the desktop for more than a minute without blanking out.

It's not a LCD/display related issue; I hooked up an external monitor and also tried playing music and both the monitor and the music stopped when the computer went blank.

What could it be?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The power supply could be failing.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok, I think this may be it, because I just swapped out the HD and it worked fine in another laptop... How can I pinpoint and make sure that it is the power supply?

I ask this because the HP Pavilion laptop series seems to have a common problem of the GPU melting loose from the motherboard; and the fix apparently is to re-solder it back to it by heating it up...

I just want to the pinpot the problem so I know for sure.
    Thanks,
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

You would need to try it with a power supply that you know is working correctly. If it's a laptop that's going to be difficult, you may need to have it professionally serviced.

I ask this because the HP Pavilion laptop series seems to have a common problem of the GPU melting loose from the motherboard; and the fix apparently is to re-solder it back to it by heating it up...
    Most solder melts at temperatures well in excess of 175C. Most computer chips will be irreparably damaged by temperatures a bit over 100C. If the GPU got hot enough to melt the solder it would not function at all ever again.

If the chip was poorly soldered to begin with, it's possible that the thermal expansion of the metal is both the cause and the (temporary) solution to the problem. Over time, the constant heating and cooling of the chip could have broken it free from the board, but when you heat the metal it expands and makes contact with the board again.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Unless you know how to solder on multi-level circuit boards, don't try resoldering a connection yourself, if you solder wrong you'll have a good chance of damaging the motherboard.

If your problem is related to a connector, sometimes tapping the laptop case in different spots can case the failure.

There are other possible culprits, such as a defective cooling fan or cooling fan circuit in the laptop causing overheating, bad RAM, etc.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

had a very similar problem on an old hp laptop NX series,
    it would only happen when runnning on battery,

it started to happen more often as the batter aged, and it always happen when the batter is about to reach 0%

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo