1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Data recovery of a hard drive partition in two which contains a C drive and XP.

My drive is partition into 2. A drive C for my XP Systems and a D for files. Windows XP doesnt work anymore on the C drive partition and all it does is just keep on going to the Windows Screen and then restart and will not get pass it.

I have installed a second sata drive in my PC and installed XP on it. Now when I connect both drives in my PC including the faulty one, it just does the same thing again with the restarts looping and will not load the working XP thats loaded onto my other Sata drive. Is that because they both have the C drive letter on both of them and the XP Operating Systems? Is there any way of telling the PC to load the second Sata drive with the working XP and disregard the faulty one with a C drive letter partition. All I want is for the PC to see the faulty drive as just another drive with files in there and an XP operating system in there.

I am thinking of just getting a USB Sata External Case tomorrow and put the faulty sata drive in there and connect it to my PC hoping it will not recognise the C drive letter and Operating System in there and just copy the files from it.

Do I have any other options for this scenario.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

check the BIOS and make sure the new drive is the first boot device...!

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Have you double checked the jumper settings on the drives. The old drive must be set up as a slave......Or you can go cable select if your bios supports it.
    I have seen the problem before.....everything set right and the drive overrides........the easiest solution is to put it in an exterior enclosure and recover the data.......then you can re-format it right there after clearing your data.
  7. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

the order that the hard drives are on the ribbons matters i believe (even if you set master/slave on the jumper pin) make sure that stuff is right also

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo