1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dead floppy drive??

hi,

just built my own computer, and i cant install an OS because the computer doesnt seem to find the floppy drive. i have connected the floppy drive to the motherboard with a 34-pin connecter, and i have the twisted end plugged to the floppy drive, and the long end to the MB.

I noticed that one pin on the floppy drive (the second from the side) is missing. could that be the problem or should it be like that??

When i start the computer it says after counting the memory and all that, "Verifying DMI pool data..... DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

thanx in advance
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What OS are you trying to install from floppy? You should be able to config BIOS to read off CD ROM on boot which it probably isn't doing. Do you have a CD or are you really using a floppy?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by medialint
    What OS are you trying to install from floppy? You should be able to config BIOS to read off CD ROM on boot which it probably isn't doing. Do you have a CD or are you really using a floppy?
    thanx for the quick response.
    i am really using a floppy cuz i am installing win 98. I know its old but when thats done i have an xp cd which can only be installed from an existing OS. Any ideas?
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well, Disk Boot Failure it's just as likely the disk as the drive. You can replace the drive for $10 but if you're just going to put XP on are you sure you can't install from the CD then just enter your old product code when it asks?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(^^;?(Yes, you'd better prepare new FDD when you can't use soldering.)

Though you can make bootable Win98 CD or combined Win98 + i386 CD..., floppy will be needed in time.
  11. No Profile Picture

Well nothing happens when i insert the xp cd and change the BIOS to use cd drive to boot from first, just the same disk failure error.

Is my FDD broken because one pin is missing, or is it supposed to be one missing??
  13. No Profile Picture

Ok, i found out that the pins should look like that, but then i cant figure out the disk boot failure message... I also have a windows 98 cd, which says something like "only for distribution with a new pc". Guessing i could install the OS from that cd too, but i still get the same failure message. I went into the BIOS and chose the cd-rom to be the first boot device, but still no success!

Please help me out guys. Really want the computer i purchased about 1000 bucks for to have an OS!!!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(Oo;?(Oh! That's too bad.)

But CD boot failure is very common due to some CD or CD-Drive defects. FDD has pins of no use according to pin assignment, but can be the cause.

You'd better buy new FDD. However you can attach that HDD to another PC, format, copy whole Win98 bootdisk, Win98 directory and i386 to it.

(^~;?(Doesn't your parts have warranties?)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo