1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Desktop Dell will not turn on

The computer had been put into standby, came back to it and it was off. Upon pushing on/off switch, nothing happens. Tried a different cord, different outlet. When pushing the button, it definitely makes a on-off clicking sound. Took cover off and all that can be seen is a green light flashing on the motherboard, kind of in the middle position. I suspect the power unit is out, but didn't know why there would be a flashing green light. This may belong in the CPU category, but wasn't sure. There is no visible light on the front of the computer, like the green HDD light or the red HDD light. The green light will continue to blink as long as it is plugged in. When I unplug it, it will continue to blink, gradually blinking more slowly, then goes out completely in about 22 seconds.

This is an older Dell, with Win XP, but used by a senior citizen who is very comfortable with it, and so it would be nice to get it going.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Sounds like maybe a bad power supply. Rather than being total burnt out the supply may just be unable to supply the necessary power to run all the components, that would explain why it still powers the green light.

When you turn it on does it sound like things start to try and spin up, then everything turns off? What happens if you disconnect the hard drives/cd drives and try and power it on?

I'd try swapping in a different PSU from a working computer if possible and see if it works after that. If it does, buy a new PSU. If it doesn't, you'll have to explore more options.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It makes absolutely no noise.

I disconnected power cable of the hard drive from the Motherboard, no change.

The inside was clean. When I blew inside of it, there was no cloud of dust.

I disconnected the power to the motherboard from the power supply. No change. It still blinks.

I had a power supply go bad on this computer and put in a new one, but I don't recall there being a green light blinking on the motherboard. It too was just completely silent, other than the very faint click if I pushed the on/off switch.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Dell makes it easy to find the appropriate documentation for your unit, just visit their website and in the support area for manuals use the computer service tag to locate the manual.

You'll find an explanation of indicator lights and what it means when they are on or off (or blinking).
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I went to the Dell site, put in the service tag and went to manuals and then checked out Lights. I did see where there are 4 indicator lights. When I plug it in, none of those lights light up. Thanks for this tip, because I did find that it is a Dell™ Dimension™ 2350 Series which should help with a search for a PSU, which is probably the problem.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Is the front panel missing or something? I have a Dell Dimension 2350 circa 2003 or so, and the front panel says "Dimension 2350" on it. Anyway, glad you found some info, and if you look on ebay you can probably find a complete 2350 for under 100 bucks
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Fixed

I bought a used power supply, reconnected it and it turned right on. Once I did that, those 4 indicator lights that are under the PSU came on like they were supposed to. Thanks for all of your help.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I'm happy to hear you got it working.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

NOW IT WON"T TURN ON AGAIN

Now guess what? History, computer wouldn't turn on, replaced the PSU. The computer turned on, booted up. By the way, this is a friend's computer and so I am not in front of it. Later in the day the person went back to the computer, it was off. Now it won't turn on again. So why did a different power supply unit allow the computer to turn on and now it won't turn on anymore? I am suspecting there could be a motherboard problem. Any suggestions?
  19. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's possible both PSU's are bad. However if that were the case I'd really consider that maybe something is causing them to go bad, most likely on the outside of the PC. How's the power in your place? Do you see lights dim occasionally for no reason? That's usually a really bad sign for what they call "dirty power". Notice anything else *weird* going on electrically around your place?
    Adam TT
  21. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Is the front panel on? I had one Dell with a similar chassis where the plastic button that hit's the actual power switch was partially broken and wouldn't turn on unless you pushed the button just right. Try taking off the front panel and push the actual switch and see it it helps.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

so 2 power supplies down, looks like you may need a Surge Protector
  25. No Profile Picture

Firstly, you need to change Smps then change its ram also. Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo