1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Is it possible NOT TO detect IDE devices on startup?

Hello, I have just build a computer from parts I had at home. All is fine, however on startup it goes to check for IDE devices even though I have none (not even DVD drive or floppy). The only thing I have connected is a SATA hard drive.

Therefore I was wondering; is it possible to make the PC skip this step? I went to the BIOS but could not see anything related.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Not usually, but if it were it would be either an option in your BIOS or a jumper on your motherboard. Unless it's a really old board, it's not likely a jumper.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Transforming Moderator

I had a motherboard that required at least one IDE drive to boot, but it was pretty old and I think there was an update to address that. Google around with your motherboard model and check for BIOS updates.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

With some of my Dell motherboards, if you aren't using a SATA/PATA device you need to disable the device in the BIOS. Maybe such a "disable" option is only in some BIOS but not all, but it may be worth a 2nd look in your BIOS setup.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo