Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

"Detecting array..." error

My computer stopped working suddenly one day. Finally determined it was the power supply, replaced power supply and now am getting power to all devices.

However, now it can't seem to boot. It says "Detecting array..." and doesn't move beyond that. My harddrive is a regular IDE hard drive and RAID is not set up.

How do I fix this? I tried to check my BIOS and it appears RAID is disabled. None of these settings changed since my power supply issue (at least none that I'm aware of... could my settings have changed as a result of the power supply issue?)

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

what are the things leading up to that, what shows up on the screen at that time or just before it

you way want to try clearing your CMOS too (refer to your motherboard manual)
  5. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In your BIOS, is your hard drive set to 'Auto-Detect' ?
  7. No Profile Picture

BIOS screen comes on and then the "Detecting array..." error appears.

In BIOS, my harddrive is set to Auto

Reset CMOS, still got the error
  9. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hmmm, sounds like there is a problem with your BIOS or your motherboard. See if you can reset the BIOS to the factory settings or try and update it (re-flash) with the latest version.

At the very worst, it could be that the PSU going faulty has damaged your motherboard.
  11. www.devhardware.com/forums

Update the bios is my suggestion. Because sometimes if you have some hardware configuration conflict then your system would not even go into the bios.

And yes, your settings may change due to power supply issues.

Edit: Are you using USB keyboard? For the sanity check, can you try PS/2 keyboard for once? And can we have more details about specs of your components?
    Last edited by t3j45; February 20th, 2006 at 11:22 AM.
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If your PSU went bad, there's always the chance that it sent too much juice to the board right before it happened. What type of board is it? Please verify that the HD is connected to the proper IDE slot, and it's configured properly (i.e., master, slave, etc..). Go into BIOS and restore to defaults (clearing CMOS should have done this but it's worth a try). You don't have a PCI IDE controller or PCI raid controller card in there do ya? Sometimes those can cause errors.
  15. No Profile Picture

Relative newbie to all this... how does one update the BIOS? Is resetting the BIOS the same as clearing it by hitting that button on the motherboard? Because if so, I already tried doing that.

Motherboard is MSI K8N Neo4
    Processor is AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Hard Drive is 200GB Seagate Ultra-ATA/100
    Memory is 512MB, I forgot all the details of that and can't find the original packaging

Keyboard is PS/2
  17. www.devhardware.com/forums

No. Go to MSI.com and find out the latest bios download for your motherboard. There will also be a utility there used for flashing the bios.

Format a floppy drive with bootable files. And now copy the bios file to that. Reboot the system thru floppy and follow the instructions for the flash utility. I hope it helps.
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(Oo;?(If you can see the drive set to AUTO correctly and still it says "Detecting array...", )

The BIOS is still seeking for boot record? Can't you boot from CD or floppy?

Diagnose the drive by seatools when you can boot from floppy.
  21. No Profile Picture

I think is the video card

I'm having this problem also, and I'm taking the computer today to the place a bought it, the problem first started freezing the screen, but totally I couldn't do anything and when a reset it, it shows the Detecting array, so I had to turn it off and maybe later on, turn it on again and it will work, so this happen for a couple of days until now that is always in Detecting arrays I can't get to windows. It could be motherboard, video, bios... I don't really know, it could be too many things... I hope this helps a little bit.

23. No Profile Picture

This is honestly quite strange. Your problem matches up to mine exactly and you have the same specs as me. My PSU started to die (Ultra X-connect 500 watt) so I called them up they sent out a new one. Meanwhile I used a Antec 500 watt, swapped them out no problems. New X-connect came yesterday, swapped them out and I am stuck on "detecting array" and I am running Raid 0 through the nvidia raid controller.

At one point I was able to get into the raid bios and it said status: error after that I swapped sata cables and the power cables, same thing but now its not picking up the drives and I can't get into raid bios. Even tried changing back to the Antec psu and I tried using the molex connection power rather than the sata power.

I went into the bios and turned off raid to see if it would just pick up the hard drives and now it stalls at the post screen usually saying something like "detecting ide devices" when I unplugged all my ide devices.

A week ago I backed up all my major stuff when my psu started to die, but I am afraid now that I am going to lose this raid 0 array that has ~200 gb of data on it.
  25. No Profile Picture

"Detecting array . . ." & going nowhere

I hope this helps:

I have seen this before. On the machine that it presented itself, I removed the RAM and replaced it one stick at a time. The second of 2 RAM chips was totalled. The first RAM chip was damaged, but would run the computer alone.
    A brand new RAM (DDR) was recognized and ran well.

This likely was a 'static' electricity problem, I think (One that decided not to stay static, I guess.) It could also be a power surge or brownout induced fault. The motherboard may also be damaged, if this is the case, and then the computer is SOL. Make sure your computer is cleaned with clean, dry gas annually.

If you move or replace RAM (any time you open the case, really,) make sure you have grounding straps on, the case itself is grounded and you follow anti-static procedures . . .
  27. No Profile Picture

detecting array error

I also have this problem I have a GA-K8NF-9 nForce4-4X chipset motherboard. Unfortunately I cannot access the bios setup at all to check or reset to factory settings. I have 2 HD's and it doesn't seem to be detecting either of these. I am not sure exactly what has happened but think that my son downloaded something that has changed the bios settings. I am using an old apple mac laptop to find help in fixing this problem. I have done all that has been suggested in this forum but to no avail, can anyone suggest anything else please just to get me into the bios so that I may be able to at least boot from cd.
  29. No Profile Picture

Detecting Array Error

I tried this and it seemed to work: Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and remove Nvida drivers. A menu should come up, now remove the Nvida IDE driver and leave everything else. Hope this helps. This goes for all those who can access there OS.
    Last edited by teethous; July 19th, 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Added info
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo