1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dropbox Security

I work on a shared computer. Because of that, I have a folder that is password protected by a C++ program. Generally, this works fine. But for some reason, if I go to the recently changed section of the Dropbox, I can click on files in the supposedly protected folder and open the entire folder without typing in the password. Why is this and how can I ensure that the folder is actually secure?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can't, because the dropbox stuff is a link to an external program, not a folder.

Anyway, "dropbox" and "security" in the same sentence is nearly always a syntax error.
  5. No Profile Picture

Alright. Thank you. I suppose I'll just have to find some other way around it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

What OS are you on? Most modern operating systems provide some level of access controls. Add some file encryption and you should be good to go.

Google: "file encryption software"
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Person33
    I work on a shared computer. Because of that, I have a folder that is password protected by a C++ program. Generally, this works fine. But for some reason, if I go to the recently changed section of the Dropbox, I can click on files in the supposedly protected folder and open the entire folder without typing in the password. Why is this and how can I ensure that the folder is actually secure?
    I think Dropbox is not engineered to support security measures involved in shared computing. The technology can only be secure if one works from a computer which cannot be accessed by someone from another network. Remember that even after installing a program on one computer, the rest do not recognize the security protocol.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thank you everyone for your suggestions; I just recently found that although the locked folder does not prevent the files from being accessed, Microsoft applications such as Word and Power Point provide encryption options that can be individually applied to files, and this does prevent them from being accessed through the Drop Box. I hope this may help people in similar situations.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo