1. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I dropped my hard drive :(

The subject line pretty much covers it.
    I dropped my external hard drive.
    I thought I was done for when it refused access after I reconnected it.
    But, as luck would have it I have been able to use iCare Data Recovery Free to see the files again.
    Unfortunately the free version is limited to just 2GB and whilst I have waaaay more than that on it I really am just after the 10GB of family photos and videos that are on there - as much as I'd like the other stuff they don't rank compared to the family stuff.
    I do have a fair bit of it backed up on another hard drive so not all is lost ... just a lot of recent stuff, say the last couple of years or so.
    The full version of the software is a staggering $69.95 and I do value the data enough to pay the price but I'm hoping to find something a little more reasonably priced before I bite the bullet and cough up.
    I tried WinUndelete as I have bought that in the past but since nothing has ever been deleted from that drive it hasn't been able to find anything ... as you can imagine.
    Does anyone know of any software that does the same thing as iCare Data Recovery but at a more reasonable price - free is not expected.
    Many thanks,

prc
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Have you tried Recuva by Piriform.com? Its free.
    Although it says that its for undelete/unerase purposes, I think its worth a try.
    Just make sure to use the "Deep Scan" method for it to find the most.

There is also Wise Data Recovery Free which is free. It also says its used to undelete, but, its worth a try using it.
    Last edited by DonR; March 7th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
  5. Contributing User

I just gave that a go and it says "The path does not exist".
    I pointed it at my D drive which is where the external drive is
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

There's definitely software out there that can fix or recover your files, but those are not cheap to come by.

I would recommend you take it to a local shop and see what they can do for you.
  9. Contributing User

I managed to save the files - I got hold of a Mac and it could read the drive.
    After the files were saved I reformatted the drive again, FAT32, and put the files back on it.
    Windows seemed to be fine with that.
    Unfortunately, when I turned the drive off and on again I was back in the same position - drive unreadable.
    It seems a bit risk to use a flakey drive like that now.
    I've had it for over a year but only opened it the other week - pity.
  11. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by prcAdap
    I managed to save the files - I got hold of a Mac and it could read the drive.
    Interestingly I had an external drive (Toshiba junk) that also had a lot of photos and such that I value and it was obviously dying. My PC would recognize it, then it would get into a reconnect/disconnect loop and then shortly after that my laptop just asked me if I wanted to format it and didn't even try reading it.

Around this time I got a new mac mini. Mac mini had no issues whatsoever with it. It merrily let me copy everything over to both my mac's internal drive and a new WD external.

I figure it's still a dead drive and I haven't used it since I got everything off it, but I was very happy I didn't have to go down the recovery path as well!

Cheers.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo